beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And is it possible to use raw wheat for steeping in extract brewing?

No.* Just use wheat extract. Or don't, it's such a miniscule amount.

* Well, of course it's possible, but wheat (whether raw, flaked or malted) must be mashed, otherwise it will add a bunch of unfermentable starch to your wort.

Thanx 944,so that basicly means if i do extract brewin,i have to use malted grain for steeping otherwise ill have to mash it

Thanx 944,so that basicly means if i do extract brewin,i have to use malted grain for steeping otherwise ill have to mash it

You have to mash "malted grain", too. There are many steeping grains- like crystal malt, chocolate malt, etc. Most of the grains you will use have been malted, but not all malted grains can be steeped.

Here's a list to give you an idea of what can be steeped and what can be mashed: Brewing Grains and Extracts List

aahhaaaa ;) ..thanx yooper so something must be wrong with recipe above.

I don't know what he's using the wheat for. To make the beer cloudy? Adding 1/4 pound of wheat extract wouldn't make much sense either. I'd either forget about the wheat entirely or go with, say, 3 lbs. wheat extrcat replacing half the Light DME.

You know, he may have just included it for head retention. A nice head is appealing in a beer like kolsch.

You could easily just steep 1/2 pound of carapils instead.

aahhaaaa ;) ..thanx yooper so something must be wrong with recipe above.
Would you have a recipe for hulled millet? I am vitamin B deficient and can obtain this cheaply out here.
Will hulled millet sprout? Or should I just roast it then boil it, etc?
And do you know what gives Asahi that nice canny aftertaste? Yeast, hops, rice?

Back