Fermtech Auto Siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eeny, Meeny, Miny........

It's all about the size man. The largest is for 1/2" ID hose, the middle is for 5/16" ID hose. The mini is similar to the midlle man except that it's shorter to make it easier to use with growlers or 1 gallon jugs.

So, if you think that siphoning with 3/8" hose takes too long then goto the 1/2".

That is how you decide.

i have the 5/16 since that is what everything esle i use uses i.e. wort chiller, kettle, mlt
I think my autosiphon is worth its weight in gold. If i could go back i would have bought it on day one.

The guy at my LHBS reccomended not buying the largest one as he thinks it aerates beer in transfer too much, but he uses one for wine. Personally, I have the mid-size one, and I wish I could siphon faster, that is the most tedious part of brewing for me, the crap work afterward. But, I haven't bought the big one yet, because I do trust this guy, especially when he tells me not to spend money in his shop...

The guy at my LHBS reccomended not buying the largest one as he thinks it aerates beer in transfer too much, but he uses one for wine. Personally, I have the mid-size one, and I wish I could siphon faster, that is the most tedious part of brewing for me, the crap work afterward. But, I haven't bought the big one yet, because I do trust this guy, especially when he tells me not to spend money in his shop...

I have the big one and the mini. I haven't seen any more air entrained into the wort with the big than I have with the mini. Lest you are talking about the very end of the transfer (you know when the siphon makes that wet fart sound) but, I am usually to volume before I get there so whatever gets oxidized at the end of x-fer is for samples anyway.

I have both the medium (not mini) and large auto siphons. The large one is great for transferring MUCH faster. I don't use the medium one anymore, I keep it in case I break the large one somehow.

My only complaint is that I have to hold the siphon the whole time (which is why the larger one is much better, i.e. faster). I need an autosiphon clamp!

Back