Single-Rest Infusion of Multi-Step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
In a few minutes I am going to start my CA Doppelbock. I'm using a 5 gal. igloo cooler for my mash tun. Grain bill is as follows for a 3 gallon batch:

5 lb. American 2-row
5 lb. Munich
0.25 lb. Crystal 75
0.25 lb. Chocolate

OG: 1.090
SRM: 23

I was planning on doing a single temp infusion at 156-158. Would a multi temp mash be better? I can only change the temp by adding more hot water. I will run out of space in the mash tun pretty quick.

That's what I thought. I've never used that much munich before and was just wondering. I need a bigger mash tun so I can do higher gravity brews and multi-step mashes. Time to look for a 10 gal. cooler. :D

If it was me brewing that recipe I would mash in at 90 degrees in my 8 gallon pot for 20 min. Add heat and raise to 122 degrees for 20 minutes. Add boiling water to raise to my conversion temp (156 degrees) for 45 min. Apply heat and raise to 164 before transferring to my lauter tun. I use this type mash when using a high precentage of Munich. Being a bock I would problably at least do a single decoction to make the most out of the Munich.

If a single infusion is more your style than stick to it. You can't go wrong with simplicity.

Most modern malts have become to good to justify a protein rest. This means you will be fine with a single infusion.

But if you feel comfortable with decoction mashing, I'd go at least for a double decoction (from 55C to 68C, and 68C to 75C). Though decoction mashing is not much used anymore, it is still the preferred method for Doppelbocks.

But again, it will also be fine with a single infusion.

Kai

I'd like to try a decoction soon, but not on this brew. I need to plan ahead of time just to make sure I have the time. The mash is done right now. I've got about 5 gallons on the burner now, and have about 1.5 gallons to add to it to boil down. My pot is only a 7 gal. and I've learned my lesson on boil-overs.:eek:

Total wort collected: 7 gallons. Runnings stopped at about 1.008. Boiling down till about 4.5 gal. then starting hop schedule.

This one's going to be a big beer. Boiled every thing down, followed hop schedule, and ended up with just over 3 gallons. OG: 1.095! This sucker is going to have an ABV of around 10%. I dumped it on the yeast cake from my previous batch so there isn't a problem with the amount of yeast. The only thing that went wrong with the brew is that I forgot to strain out the hops. It was getting late and I forgot to put the sive over the fermenter when I dumped it in. I also dumped it on the yeast cake from my previous batch. Should I just leave it, or should I sive it into another fermenter tomorrow. I could probably get better aeration that way, but risk contamination. I think I'll just leave it, unless someone has a good reason otherwise.

I don't think the hops in there are a big deal..... you'll leave em in the trub when you rack to secondary anyhow. Why risk contamination by goofing with it.

My .02 ;)

Yeah, I'm not going to deal with it. There's not that much anyways. I think the IBU's came out to about 25. There was 1.75 oz total in the recipe.

Back