Transfer to primary without filtering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimney

Reaction score
I attempted my first batch last night and all went well. The only thing I didn't do was to filter the wort as I poured into the primary. I tryed to leave as much sediment in the brewpot as I could but most of it was suspended in the wort. Will this be a problem or should I not worry?

Don't worry, some people dump everything from the brewpot in, some try to leave some behind and others run it through a strainer, it really is a matter of choice.

Just leave your beer for 3-4 weeks in your primary, or rack to a secondary after fermentation is complete (when hydrometer readings over 3 successive days remain the same) and the stuff will settle down just fine.....The longer you leave it the more settled/clear it will be.

No need to filter.

I good rule of thumb though is to leave it in the primary until the sediment settles. Then do your thing.

It sounds like you are racking too soon.

Back