New to the brew and here to meet the crew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethhutchings

Reaction score
Hello from Poole,Bournemouth UK
I have recently started my second batch of coopers lager as an apparently easy starter lager. Like a fool i forgotot to put the sugar in with the wort but did everything else by the book. I acted fast with nothing to lose and mixed the sugar with warm water in the wort tin and poured it into the bucket and an hour later rolled the bucket on its side gently to mix the sugar in. I wasnt sure waht to do but the air trap is bubbling away at least once every second now (this is just 1 later) and i am already getting a lovely lager scent with every glub glub glub from the air trap. Am i right in thinking my brute force and ignorance may have served me well this time round. Please tell me i wont be tipping 5 gallons of pure nastiness down the toilet. Thanks folks.

I'd say you have fermentation going just fine. Highest risk is not boiling the sugar to sanitize, but I'd bet my next three batches that no harm will be done. Beer is pretty stable stuff and capable of fighting off the nasties.

Well done on your first batch and welcome aboard.

Thanks very much everyone. Its bubbling out the air trap about once a second ish and each burp it gives absolutely stinks of lager. I opened the cupbourd this morning and the alchohol blew me back slightly. Cant wait til its in the fridge....Id like to brew some Ale but the missus moans she doesnt like it so im trying to keep us both happy (maybe il buy her a wine kit and brew my own Ale)...

Thanks everyone cant wait.. Its realy bubbling ten to the dosen now and smells like the real deal........

Back