Cascade Crowns on Ebay.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those do look HUGE!!!!

what are the advantages of getting one that big? do they start producing faster? or just more?

aekdbbop said:
those do look HUGE!!!!

what are the advantages of getting one that big? do they start producing faster? or just more?

The bigger the rhisome the sooner you get yields cause the plant focuses less own crown developement. I am a little concerned tho' about the age of the crown. Looks to me like a hop yard clearance. I have read that the life expectancy for a Hop plant is 30 years, and they advertise these as 30 year old crowns, so I wonder if they are getting sold off because they are losing their commercial viability.

Wonder why they don't list these on their website.......

Only one way to find out -- get one. It's not a whole lot of investment if it does fail, but probably aren't viable for full on commercial use, but to homegrow, I bet they're fine.

Hop plants can last 50-75 years. A crown that big will produce a good crop the first year. If you look at a listing, you'll see that he is selling them for someone in Washington that is changing to another hop.

This is a great chance for Washington folks, since there is a ban on non-Washington plants.

Seller's location says they're in Philomath, OR. You could probably stop by and pick some up david since they're in your neck of the woods! :p

Something fishy is going on with these acutions, the highest bidder and in fact, all of the bidders for every one of the hops is some combination of stars and letters such as:
a**l
r**n
m***b etc.

I hope freshops isn't playing a bid up game with us that would detract from my view of them even further.

Donasay said:
Something fishy is going on with these acutions, the highest bidder and in fact, all of the bidders for every one of the hops is some combination of stars and letters such as:
a**l
r**n
m***b etc.

I hope freshops isn't playing a bid up game with us that would detract from my view of them even further.

FYI: because of various problems with bidding up, etc., eBay now does that for every auction---those names are disguised. Only the seller can see, and I guarantee you, it's not just the first and last letter of their username either. I recently sold some tickets on eBay, and when I wasn't logged in, the bidder appeared as "N****G", but when I logged in, it was something like KrisKid49.

They're not playing games, at least not as far as I can tell.

Evan! said:
FYI: because of various problems with bidding up, etc., eBay now does that for every auction---those names are disguised. Only the seller can see, and I guarantee you, it's not just the first and last letter of their username either. I recently sold some tickets on eBay, and when I wasn't logged in, the bidder appeared as "N****G", but when I logged in, it was something like KrisKid49.

They're not playing games, at least not as far as I can tell.

How does not displaying the names stop someone from bidding up stuff, as a consumer, me being able to see if someone is bidding something up lets me know they want it and to stop bidding, or that it is only one person bidding up the price.

If I am bidding, and every time I bid the same person bids a little higher than me I will generally let them have it as I set my price threshold on my first and (I like to think my only) bid. If they hide the names of the bidders I don't know if it is a 2 way bidding war or a 3 way bidding war or what. As a bidder, not knowing who else is bidding makes me more likely to think it is some sort of a bid up, and leaves me with no way of looking to see if it is.

I know Dave Wills fairly well. The next Heart of the Valley is at his brewery in Corvallis. This year I'm trying to get an experimental hop from OSU to replace the Sunbeam. My Cascade is doing good enough.

Hey I just thought I would bump this one up and let everyone know the auctions have been closing with the 30 year old crowns going for $80 - $120... WTF...

Back