Ascorbic acid and yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have never, on any forum, asked for recipe advice before but I find myself in unfamiliar territory, and buzzed from drinking.

I have a split batch IPA on deck. Nothing major 2-Row, Munich, Crystal 80, Simcoe, Columbus, Cascade. Not going to be a DIPA until I split and add Pear Nectar to the split half.

My nectar of choice comes from the whole foods store (Akins) and is marketed as preservative free and organic but, it does contain 4% per 8 ounces Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) and I intend to add 64 (0.5 Gallon) Ounces to 639 Ounces (5 Gallons). I can't seem to get my head around the math right now, beer buzz, and am concerned about the Vit. C's possible effect on yeast during fermentation.

Any thoughts?:drunk:

Shouldn't be an issue. The famous recipe around here Apfelwein uses apple juice which almost always contains ascorbic acid and nobody has reported a problem with it. There was a lot of discussion about it in that thread and the consensus is that it wouldn't harm anything.

Latest posts

Back