Brewing a Chocolate Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bates_Foreman

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Brewing a chocolate porter right now. It's been about 10 days since it stopped fermenting. I'm using cocoa powder and I am going to transfer to a secondary carboy. Should I wait as long as possible before transferring to the secondary? First time using chocolate in a beer. Also, the recipe im going off of is actually for a chocolate hazelnut beer. Has anyone tried this before? The recipe calls for hazelnut extract before bottling. It sounds good but i may just stick with the chocolate.

I just brewed my first chocolate beer as well, a milk chocolate stout. I would recommend leaving it in the primary. No reason to transfer it to a secondary really.

Yea no need for secondary. Leave it about 3 weeks and on bottling day add coffee to taste. I cold brew my coffee and just dump it in the bottling bucket. I've done 4 coffee stouts like that and had NO problems w/infections.

Back