COuple questions on my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaotic

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Hefe (very first brew) and its been in the primary for 13 days at 70-71 degree. The airlock has a bubble every 18-22 seconds still. Anyway, I didn't take a OG reading, but I just did a reading tonight and it was 1.017 I also took a taste it seemed to have a somewhat strong alcohol taste to it and kind of made my mouth tingle.

My questions are: is that taste normal at this stage? and do you think it is time to bottle them up? or should I wait another week?

One thing I've learned about home brewing is that new homebrewers tend to jump the gun on just about every situation; myself included. If you're seeing bubbles that frequently, it seems to me like there is still work to be done. I know it's difficult to wait, but having bubbles that frequently makes me think there is still work to be done. Besides, nothing bad will happen to your beer if you decide to wait a couple more days. Hope this helps

You should leave a hefe in the primary a minimum of 10 days before bottling IMO. But that dosen't mean always bottle on day 10, you need to get an appropriate FG, you have a few more points to go.

As far as the alcohol taste, what temp are you fermenting at? And what yeast are you using? Too much over 72 (wort temp) with most ale yeast you are risking production of higher alcohols that give it a sharp alcohol/solvent taste.

Yeah I'm going to wait another week before I bottle it. I went and took a sniff of it just a minute ago and man it REALLY doesn't smell like beer, but rather like whiskey it just has a strong alcohol smell to it, I hope it isnt ruined.

Is it normal for it to me that high (1.017) and still bubbling after 2 weeks???????

Back