found on-line Lhbs store for canadians on vancouver island

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crown_cres

Reaction score
hi there i found this on-line store on vancover island in victoria has any on used them there website is http://www.askims.com they seem to have decent prices there grains are like .08 to 24 cents more on some products tell me what u think they have white labs for $7 a vial is that good for canada???? and you can do on-line payment unlike dans so you get your product faster instead of having to send a cheq or money order in mail which dans reqires

I just emailed them asking for some basic info: if they crush the grains...vacumm seal hops, and rough shipping costs.??
I'll post the results when they respond.

Cheers.

Man just drive down to HOBBY BEER AND WINE off of finlayson and you can get all that stuff right away. Although I do like some of the stuff on that site.

The place called HOBBY BEER & WINE off of finlayson is great. I go in with my exact grain bill and they give me exactly the weight I need. Then I use their grain mill for free. So far it's the best place to go that I have found for Beer stuff. They are located a few blocks up from Blancahrd on Finlayson street. Small little shop with a yellow sign on the left hand side.

Oh and yes they measure in KG's/Grams :)

Cheers,
Marc

Hey, that's great! I had never seen their site before. Perfect timing, too -- in the last three orders I placed with Paddock Wood, they were only ever to fill about half of it because they were out of stock on so many items. Has anyone else noticed that lately? Not only is there very stock left on their website, they often don't have what you order, especially equipment. If Askims is good, they might just lure me away...

I'll be curious to hear how people make out with them. Hopefully everyone will post back if they use them.

FlyGuy said:
Hey, that's great! I had never seen their site before. Perfect timing, too -- in the last three orders I placed with Paddock Wood, they were only ever to fill about half of it because they were out of stock on so many items. Has anyone else noticed that lately? Not only is there very stock left on their website, they often don't have what you order, especially equipment. If Askims is good, they might just lure me away...

I'll be curious to hear how people make out with them. Hopefully everyone will post back if they use them.

Ya Paddock seemed to run dry on a bunch of stuff lately....even the 2-row was off the website for a few days....ya figure they should be able to find some of that out in the prairies.

Here are my questions:
1) Are the hop pellets and or leaves vacuum sealed?
2) Do you pre-crush the base grains? (I plan to order about 25 lbs at a
time)
3) Shipping: could you please give me a rough time/cost for shipping
25-30lbs to Ontario:

Here is their speedy reply:

Greetings, All my hops are vacuum packed as well as refrigerated. I can
pre crush the grains though I don't recommend it as the surface area is
greatly increased thus reducing the shelf life of the grains. Due to the
weight you will be paying a lot more for shipping than you will for the
grains themselves. My store is located in Victoria BC so it would probably
take a week or more shipping by parcel post.IT would cost in the neigborhood
of $30 to $50 to ship you $15 to $18 worth of grain. I hope this helps you.

Back