Banana esters....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskii

Reaction score
I am working on a banana Beer that is not a wheat beer. I am looking for a yeast strain that favors banana esters.
I figure I'll have to hit high fermenting temperature on an ale yeast but really need to favor the banana but don't want the chill haze and protien of the wheat as well as the inherent astringency.
Would a lager yeast be a better approach?
For that matter, can I use a Weiss yeast like 3068 and not have wheat in the grain bill?
Anybody know?

First time I made a banana beer it was by accident, let my fermentation temps run too high. I was using Nottingham, uggh, banana beer.

Yea, i get that it bucks the convention and that it is not what most enjoy but in the right framework I find it is not offensive. My favorite session lagers have a sulfidic and very slight banana notes but I think it would be lost in the grain I'll I am considering.
However what I'm targeting is banana bread character ( ala Well's Banana Bread Beer). There are a couple of VERY short threads here on it so I think I am better off writing my own.

3068 without the wheat is a strong front runner for yeast choice.

Back