Kegerator won't cool but compressor runs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
I've had my kegerator for about 3 years and now it won't cool. The compressor runs and the thermostat seems to be working (if I turn it off the compressor shuts off). Any suggestions on what this could be? Freon? Is it even worth having someone come out to try and fix it?

Thanks,

Yes, most likely you have a freon leak. If you have an expensive kegerator that is only 3 years old, I would suggest having a service repairman looking at it. But, you could also always take of the tower and attach it to an inexpensive chest freezer or dorm refrigerator with a digital controller.

It might be your door seal letting in hot air. Do you have a lot of moisture when you open the door. Google door seal check and it will give you some ways to check - Dwain

Thanks, I'll check the door seal tonight. If that isn't it I'll call and get prices from a repair man. I can only imagine them coming out will make it not worth it.

I'm not the handiest person but everyone says the conversion is easy so I may be giving that a shot. I've noticed that pretty much all kegerators come with hardware which would be a waste.

I just had the same problem with a refrigerator I bought on CL. The compressor worked fine, but warm air was blowing instead of cold. I changed the relay for $20 and it was fixed.

My fan went out on mine. On commercial units, the fan is supposed to run all the time, and the compressor turns on and off.
My compressor was turning on and off, but without the fan, the cold air would not spread out into the keggerator, and the sensor would shut off the compressor after a while.
Changed the fan, works fine again.

+2 on the relay. I haven't replaced the relay in my upright because the relay costs more than I gave for it (a 6pk) since the previous owner lost 2 full loads of food due to it's failure.

I found that if i disconnect/reconnect the relay, or, wack it with a screwdriver, it frequently starts working properly. It happens so rarely (a few times a year) that it's not been worth doing much more about.

If it has an evaporator fan, make sure it's running. Also, the condenser fan should cycle on and off with the compressor (controlled by the thermostat) and the condenser needs to be clean so there's good airflow across it. Feel things.... Is the evaporator warm, cool or cold? After it runs a little while, the condenser line from the compressor where it starts into the coil should be very warm (maybe too hot to hold onto for more than several seconds) and it should be much cooler leaving the condenser. If everything seems to be running when it should and you're not moving heat, you've probably lost freon or have a blockage in the refrigerant loop (perhaps a blocked cap tube). Also, feel the compressor after it runs awhile. If it gets REALLY hot, it may be shutting down on its internal thermal protector prior to the thermostat being satisfied by cabinet / evaporator temperature.

Thanks for all the replies. It's been a long few weeks so I haven't actually had a chance to look at this until today. So, I'm attempting to replace the starter relay and no one seems to have the part number (QP2-4.7g) and it seems like a common problem. Google searches turn up results of people not having luck with this product. So, with some searches on here I've found the following product that looks similar:

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Relay/P6R8MD/1206839

I have an Edgestar kegerator in case anyone has direct experience.

Thanks,

My update: I eventually found the part. Although Edgestar never called me back I found an edgestar supplier and $58 later I had the starter relay. Plugged it in and it still doesn't work. I still get the buzz sound that I've heard mentioned in a few posts.

Also, the compressor seems to be running the entire time and certainly gets hot. The coils that feed into the compressor also get hot but not necessarily burn your fingers hot.

Any other advice other than not buy Edgestar?

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I'm having same problem as OP. All of a sudden there's no more cold. The buzzing continues, sounding as it always has like the compressor is working; the compressor is producing heat though not a lot of it; the thermostat will trigger the compressor to go off. Meanwhile, temp in my fridge is now a balmy 61F.

Anybody have any solutions? Definitely won't be buying EdgeStar products again.

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I'm having same problem as OP. All of a sudden there's no more cold. The buzzing continues, sounding as it always has like the compressor is working; the compressor is producing heat though not a lot of it; the thermostat will trigger the compressor to go off. Meanwhile, temp in my fridge is now a balmy 61F.

Anybody have any solutions? Definitely won't be buying EdgeStar products again.

I ended up getting refunded for the relay from the company - they didn't even want me to send it back - and sold it broken on craigslist. I then converted a chest freezer, best thing I've done. I now have 4 taps, it was cheaper than my original cheep kegerator and it looks good. Good luck trying to fix it, but if you don't, making a keezer is a great option and I swear, very easy (especially if you do butt joints on the collar) as a miter cut was the most "difficult" thing.

I have a 3 year old Edgestar kegerator (KC2000TWIN) and just 2 days ago I noticed a pool of water under it. The frost/ ice started melting. I thawed everything and noticed the evap coil was pushed off the back wall --> screw backed out. I reinstalled the screw, no problem but now the compressor clicks on and off every minute or two.

From what Ive researched, it seems to be the compressor relay failed. I see the OP had came to the same conclussion. I I have a spare relay switch at my parents after their kegerator had the same issue within a year after purchasing. Picked up to of them as a just in case back up. I hope this is the issue and that it is fixed. Id hate to trash what seems to be a perfectly good kegerator. I would probably go the same route as OP and get a collared chest freezer with 4-5 taps lol.

Pic of relay in question.

19990346_10209716282360110_6382213650985318322_n.jpg

19884180_10209716282440112_744194946759258826_n.jpg

Back