First attempt at a oat stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th0rT_17

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at building a recipe so have at it.

2lb amber lme
5lb dark lme

1lb toasted oats
8oz crystal 60
4oz black roasted barley
4oz chocolate malt
2oz black patent

1.5oz kent golding for 60 mins

wyeast london ale III 1318

Should be OG of 1.052
ABV 5

Thoughts???

I don't like amber or dark LME because they have crystal already in them. I'd rather use light LME and then add my own crystal, so that the beer isn't too sweet.

I'd suggest adding 2 pounds of two row to your grains, keeping at 150-160 for 45 minutes, because the oats must be mashed.

Too many different dark grains for my liking. I usually just use roasted barley in mine. Not black patent, chocolate and roasted barley. I also agree on the extract.

Agreed with the two above- Extra Light extract all the way. It may well have been Yooper who showed me the light on that one a few years ago, and my beers got a lot better real fast. I would drop the black patent if I were you, and maybe add the 2 oz. back as roasted malt, which is delicious. I personally like the complexity of the chocolate malt in this beer, but you could also, as rjwhite suggests, sub it out for more roasted as well. Roasted malt is the only dark grain in Guiness, if you need a flavor reference, though with your crystal malt, your beer will have a rounder, sweeter flavor (which I for one prefer to Guiness). A big roasted malt flavor is my favorite thing about a stout.

I'm drinking an oatmeal stout right now that has mo, oats, and roasted barley (both light and dark) and it has dark chocolate in the flavor profile. I can't really explain it but I have liked all my stouts better when I dumped black patent and chocolate. If you want a sweeter stout keep the caramel.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm gonna dump the BP and go with Extra Pale LME. I'm brewing next weekend so I'll let you know how it turns on in a few weeks.

Back