Bubbles in my keg lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
I'm currently getting bubbles in my liquid line of my pin lock corny keg. I have both a ball lock and a pin lock, and the pin lock currently has the issue. The beer I had in there before was fine, but this one is getting a ton of bubbles in the line. I'll get 1/2 of a glass of foam on the first pour. If I let it sit for a few and then pour again, same foamy story...well I get a bit less on the next pour. When I look at the disconnect, I can see the bubbles coming into the line, and I don't know why. I have adjusted the pressure, tightened everything, and I'm still having issues. I don't know what else to do at this point other than to run BLC through the keg when it's empty. Thoughts?
I searched the forums for answers but didn't really see any, so I apologize if this is a "beating a dead horse" type of thread.

i have that same issue when i keg cider, but i carb my cider like champagne. lucky with cider it doesnt have the proteins in it for the head to last. maybe ur beer got higher carb than u wanted? just curious, what is ur carbing method?

Well it depends, I've done two differnt methods. This time I pumped the Co2 up to about 30 for three days with the gas going in the liquid out so it was carbing the beer from the bottom. I'd roll the keg on it's side to get all the Co2 mixed in. I've also put the beer on gas at around 15 or so for a week, rolling it every few days. This time I did the first method, last time I did the other method...actually, last time I had the same exact issue with this same keg. The time BEFORE that this keg was fine. In any case, the last two beers I've put into my pin lock have had issues. My ball lock is fine, but has had this issue before. It's really frustrating.

I've been having the same issue. My kegs all poured perfectly for weeks until now. For some reason, the pin lock is worse than the ball locks. Here is what I figured out (hope I'm right).
My fridge is in my garage and set at 40F. My beers, all six kegs have poured great. Then the cold snap came and the garage would get down to single digit temps at night and I noticed that the interior fridge temp dropped to 34F for a couple of weeks. Now the temps are up and the interior fridge temp is back to 40F, but major air in the lines and serious foamy pours.
I think that when the temp dropped to 34F, more CO2 went into solution and overcarbed, then after warming back to 40F, the CO2 came back out of solution and caused air in my lines and foamy pours. I shut off the Co2 supply and degassed several times and let the kegs sit a couple days, then re-pressurized and problem solved.
I don't know why the pin lock was worse than the ball locks but all is well now.

the bubbles in the lines is probably CO2 coming out of suspension, not air getting into the line.

Hmmm i will have to try that out then. My fridge is in my basement bar, which stays pretty consistent, temperature wise. I feel like I messed with the temp on my fridge though, so I'll have to see what's what with the temperature. I don't know why my pin lock is giving me such issues!

Just a note that I'd like to share. I've been over carbing my kegs for a while and have been having foamy pours (I'm impatient when it comes to kegging). By trial and error (lots of them) I came up with a system for carbing that seems to work nicely. Keg charge to 30psi and shake the crap out of it. Put into the fridge @ whatever temp you like and let it sit overnight ~12 hours (with gas connected). then turn down the pressure to 20-25psi for another 12 hours. Then turn down to 15psi or your serving pressure. I haven't had an over carbed keg since I've been following this routine.

It is over carbed ! I had the same issues.The best way i found to carbonate reltively quickly is to set regulator at 30 psi for 48 hours.NO SHAKING!Beer at 38-40f.If you start with warm beer then allow another 6-8 hours.This method seems to get me about 2.5 vol.C02

Yeah, you're overcarbed buddy....the CO2 is popping out of solution becuase there isn't enough pressure to keep it in. To fix, disconnect CO2 and vent keg. Leave keg overnight in this vented state, allowing some CO2 to gas off.

In the future, don't shake, don't roll to carbonate. Shaking is for rattles, waiting is for beer.

Latest posts

Back