Got laid off today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintOfBitter

Reaction score
...good thing I just bought $350 of equipment. Definitely wouldn't be getting it now.

Anybody know of a company hiring mechanical engineers with 3-4 years experience? Looking to stay in the midwest.

Sorry to hear that man. There are next to NO jobs in California. You couldn't work at the McDonald's in my town even if you wanted to. Hope things are better where you're at.

Been there and it is not fun, but you can learn to live on very little. Like the fee for the internet you are reading this on is really not needed for happiness. When I was off I had two kids and a new house. So we found out how to live without net, cable, cellphone, and any other thing we could think of. You know those were not that bad of times.

I guess all my ramblings are saying is it will be O.K. Good luck!

Be sure to take the PE exam... I think it's 4 years of experience, but it's been 20 years since for me. Make you more marketable.

Good luck, wish I could help. I have been there and it sucks.

So sorry PoB. We had a layoff today too. Lost 20% of our workers and I lost half my staff. Our mechanical group was spared though. Two months ago, they were understaffed. Unemployment rate in our county is close to 10%.

Our owner had some good words for the departed. He stressed that this was not anything that the workers did wrong, but circumstances out of their control. He encouraged those effected to not let this effect their self esteem. Believe in your self and know that you are good and will be valuable to any company you end up at.

Best of luck.

We had a layoff in jan, 20 workers. Currently approximatly 85% of the shop is out on a 1.5 week layoff, supposedly are scheduled to come back on monday, I suppose well see. I have been one of the lucky ones on the shop floor. Engineering has not been touched at all, they have been working the floor in the place of the regular operators (proving new jobs from what I've seen, and we're not a union shop, or I would think that would stop quick)

I count myself lucky

Hang in there man, Ive been through tough times, where I didnt even own a set of clothing......Im sure youve got it better than that. :D

Thanks, guys. I'll be taken care of. It's not Cessna that provides for my family...

I'll be cutting all the expenses that I can, starting today. Internet probably won't be one of them, considering it's fairly critical to applying for jobs these days.

Tankenator: Wow, those must have been tough times. I, too, consider myself fortunate to have what I have.

Time to polish up the resume and scatter it about.

Have you checked into any federal government civil service jobs. I know there are a few major bases in that area? I did a quick search for mechanical engineer jobs in Kansas, link below. Best of luck in getting a new job.

USAJOBS -

...good thing I just bought $350 of equipment. Definitely wouldn't be getting it now.

Anybody know of a company hiring mechanical engineers with 3-4 years experience? Looking to stay in the midwest.

I sure do know a company like that, and we offer 100% health/dental insurance for you and your entire family.

How old are you? Age is a requirement.

Edited: Your profile lists you as 27. Do you have any interest in 100% tuition assistance, $400K life insurance, free food, housing, utilities, and a possible reduction on any interest fees you're already paying?

And it trickles down to the self-employed. Dropped off some parts to my main customer yesterday and found out that after this shipment they’ll be doing this job and others in-house to avoid layoffs. Been making the parts for about three years. Sucks being at the bottom of the food chain.

Hoping you have luck with the job search!

General note:
If you fear something is up in your workplace, or not, you should have a resume ready, or pretty darn well documented, so creating one should take long.

Single page!

I was just reading an online article about this person in charge of running a small team, she stressed out that there, they ignored multi-page ones...

People also like to see numbers in resumes...

With a college degree a combat engineer officer in the Army will make great money. Great benefits, and they dont lay off people.
I know its not for everyone, but it still beats a lot of jobs out there.

That really sucks! I wish you the best of luck in your search. Sounds like it might be time to find a good headhunter. The only issue I see is that you might have to move in order to get a GOOD job. Allot of people where I live do not want to move to get a job where they have had some opportunity so they sit and complain. It sucks but sometimes necessary.

Back