ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full boil of what? I do full boil 5 gallon batches in a turkey fryer pot that's no more than 6.5 gallons and I don't have any problems. I have to watch it like a hawk but other than that it's all good.

that's what I was afraid of... sometimes I get distracted during the boil and make a mess in the garage... I wonder if that extra gallon would help.

I do full gallon boils in a 30 quart (7.5 gallon) turkey fryer... I don't have to watch it like a hawk, except when it first hits its boil... so I can turn down the heat just enough to keep the boil but no boil over... Then I walk away... easy. and this is w/ probably very close to 7 gals in it

It would make a nice HLT.

I am thinking of using one for an HLT, but will probably wind up with a 10 gallon cooler.

We currently use one for HLT/makeup water, up to date we have heated the initial mash water (170ish) in our boil pot (10gal corny keggle) and you can have some water in the pony keggle that is higher temp if needed, or just use it for sparge temp (185ish) water. After initial mash we pour the extra water from the boil pot to the pony keggle just to save it.
Vern.

My buddies and I will use the 12 gallon keggle for sparge water and then whe we are boiling in our larger keggles, we'll make a 4-5 gallon batch of ginger ale or something in the smaller one.

Back