Adding dry hops to kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenKnucklesBrewery

Reaction score
I've brewed my second version of arrogant bastard and the second go at it is BAD! Malt character is there, I carb in the keg, but NO hoppy-ness AT ALL! I used a hop spider for the first time ever, could that be the problem? Can I drain the co2 on the keg, open it, dry hop it and Jon return save the beer? It's like drinking a badgive it a go again? coke right now.

I've brewed my second version of arrogant bastard and the second go at it is BAD! Malt character is there, I carb in the keg, but NO hoppy-ness AT ALL! I used a hop spider for the first time ever, could that be the problem? Can I drain the co2 on the keg, open it, dry hop it and Jon return save the beer? It's like drinking a badgive it a go again? coke right now.

The same thing happened to me a few weeks back but not with an AB clone. My amber had a great malt profile but no hop taste. I added 1.5 oz of more hops to the already chilled and carbed keg. I had thought that dry hopping while cold took longer but I went ahead and tried it about 5 days later and it was absolutely horrible. It was extremely bitter and tasted like hop pellets. I immediately took the hops out and am hoping that it mellows itself out. I think it has been about another 5 days. Fingers crossed.

Yes, you can do that. First step will be to sanitize a hop bag of some sort and a string, I would use either unscented floss or new fishing line, cleaned and sanitized. I have heard people here thrown a bag of glass marbles in the sack with the hops to weigh it down and keep it in the beer, I prefer 3 stainless steel spoons.

You'll want to tie enough line to let it float down into the beer, but not enough that it goes all the way down and gets clogged in the diptube.

With everything sanitized and the hops in there, drop in the bag carefully and tie it off on the keg handle. I've heard others tie it to the release valve in the lid, but I've never had my seal get broken by floss coming out the keg.

That should do it.

The same thing happened to me a few weeks back but not with an AB clone. My amber had a great malt profile but no hop taste. I added 1.5 oz of more hops to the already chilled and carbed keg. I had thought that dry hopping while cold took longer but I went ahead and tried it about 5 days later and it was absolutely horrible. It was extremely bitter and tasted like hop pellets. I immediately took the hops out and am hoping that it mellows itself out. I think it has been about another 5 days. Fingers crossed.

I don't think you can extract bitterness from hops at those temps. There is no isomerization when you go below somewhere in the mid 100's. Not sure where the bitterness is coming from, but I don't think it was from that addition.

I agree but I don't know what else it could be as I boiled the bag and then sprayed it down with star san. I'm not sure how it went from all malt and no hops to tasting like pellets after adding pellets if it wasn't for the pellets. Either way, I just had another taste and while still being bitter it doesn't seem as bad. It still has a long way to go though. I'm guessing this is the taking longer part that others referred to when dry hopping cold.

Back