FG to ABV conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbg96

Reaction score
I looked around, got stumped in part because I didn't have all the info the various calculators needed, so here I am once again begging for mercy and guidance from Those Who Know Better.

I got a brand spanking new hydrometer last weekend. My second batch - Mystery Hops - is about ready to bottle having sat in the fermenter for three weeks. I draw a sample and float Mr. Hydro. My reading is 1.010.

Now the question.

I do NOT have an OG reading. I'm pretty confident this is a FG reading. Can anybody convert (or point me to a formula, etc) for converting this 1.010 reading to an ABV?

Thanks...

I'm hoping your hydrometer actually reads 1.010. (I'm sure it does). There is no way to figure approximate ABV unless you post your recipe and we can feed the data into brewing software and estimate the OG.

Grimmy's Beer Math

Alcohol By Volume:

ABV = (Original Gravity - Final Gravity) x 131

Example:
OG -1.050 = 50 points and FG - 1.010 = 10 points

(50 - 10 = 40) x 131 = 5240/1000 = 5.24 ABV
(dividing by 1000 moves the decimal point).

Alcohol By Weight:

ABW = (0.79 x ABV) / Final Gravity

Original recipe is...:

6 pounds light LME
1 pound light DME
Wyeast 1056
Bunch of hops from the backyard vine

You should download the demo for BeerAlchemy... it's free for 30 days or 7 uses (I'm just keeping the program open on my Mac) and you can tweak recipes and techniques and get really accurate information.

"Beer Alchemy gives that a 1.051. (1.051-1.010) X 131= 5.37%"

Thanks for that. That's pretty close to the 5.2 the Beer Calculus site gave me by way of estimate. I likes muh beers with a little something to 'em, :tank: so a little higher ABV than expected is a nice bonus as far as I'm concerned.:rockin:

Based on the values in Designing Great Beers, and a 5 gallon vol, I'm getting 5.8%, even (with an OG of 1.055ish). So hey, if anything, it might be even more peppy! Cheers, man. Should be a good subtle backbone for your homegrown hops.

Back