Can I Get a Recipe Check?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedneckBrewer

Reaction score
I converted (with some help:D) an AG recipe to Extract. Can someone tell me if I missed something or am going in a completely different direction?

Here's the Original Recipe:

OG was .1060 and FG was 1.043

10lbs maris otter
1lb caramel malt 20L
1lb german dark wheat
.50lb 2-row carapils
.25lb english chocolate malt

1oz tettnanger 60min
.5oz tettnanger 15min
.5oz tettnanger flame out

Here's the conversion:

4.25lbs Extra Light DME
2.24lbs Light DME
OR
6.1# English Pale LME
2#Wheat LME

Steep Caramel, Carapils, and Chocolate Malt

Hops remain the same

I'm thinking this is a 60 minute boil as well. Is that the correct thinking?

I think you are a little light on the LME. I used to use syrup and would use 7 pounds to replace 10 pounds of grains.

I think.

I think you are a little light on the LME. I used to use syrup and would use 7 pounds to replace 10 pounds of grains.

I think.

Do you think I'd get closer to the Marris Otter/Dark Wheat combo using the DME or the LME or a combo of both?

That's what he said in his thread about it...
But that's only 30% attenuation? Not sure what kind of yeast/conditions you're going to use for that......or WHY you'd want to do that.

With a FG of 1.043...that is going to be one sweet, under-attenuated beer. Ugh.

I'd double-check the notes again...doesnt sound right to me.

He said that he used wyeast 1318 london ale 3. I don't know if he had some weird fermentation temps goin on or what, but that's what he said his finished out at. Any ideas what I could do to drop that FG some?

Do you think I'd get closer to the Marris Otter/Dark Wheat combo using the DME or the LME or a combo of both?

I never used much dry extract so I really don't know. And everyone's syrups vary.

But as the other poster is saying, I would worry more about that FG. He either took a bad reading or bottled a beer that's fermentation got stuck somehow. I have made beers with lower OG than that. It cannot be correct.

He said that he used wyeast 1318 london ale 3. I don't know if he had some weird fermentation temps goin on or what, but that's what he said his finished out at. Any ideas what I could do to drop that FG some?

Yes. Leave it in the primary for 3 weeks.

Back to the grains.

You could use 6 pounds of LME and add a couple of pounds of MO to your partial mash along with the Dark Wheat and Chocolate Malt. Not sure you need the carapils or caramel That should get you in the ball park.

I don't have a setup for partial mash yet, so I have to stick with steeping and extracts for now. So really the two questions are:

1. What's going to be the better substitute for MO/Dark Wheat, the LMEs/the DMEs or a combo of both?

2. How do we get the FG down to around 1.021 where its supposed to be?

Considering you're doing extract, and there are no other all grain considerations, you should get to the FG fairly "automatically" with healthy yeast, pitch rate and wort aeration.

Alright, so with an OG 1.054 and an FG of 1.015 which is going to give me the better brew, the LME or DME?

Anyone got an opinion one way or the other for using the LME vs. DME or a combo of both? Besides that, I think I've got this figured out. Since I'll be adding roasted pecans to the mix, I think I'm going to steep them with the other grains. Though, it was suggested to "steep" them separately in about 2 inches of water for 1 hour, then steep the grains, then boil. Anyone know why that WOULDN'T work?

Back