steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedbass

Reaction score
i have read on how you should steep grains and got several different ideas, what gives.... 1= put grains in bag and put in cold water and leave until water is almost boiling then remove. 2= heat water to 170 degrees and steep at 165-170 for 30 min. my questions are, cover pot or not....what is the correct time,.... what is the correct temp. to steep at,.... should you pour more water over it after u remove it,...and last but not least, should u squeeze the bag? sorry about all the questions, just want to make sure im gettin the most out of my grains. and 1 more i was told you only get about 10% when you steep carapils, is this true. thanks for any help

I have steeped grains in all the extract brews I have done. My method is to put the grains in a bag (just cleaner that way) steep them for 30 min at 150-155f then rinse with 170f water.

The best method I have found is:

1) Heat water to 160 degrees (it can get up to 170 but anything over 170 may result in tannin extraction).
2) Place grains in grain bag and add to 160 degree water. Let steep UNCOVERED for 20 minutes (covering the pot may result in tannin extraction).
3) Remove bag and allow it to drain into pot - DO NOT squeeze the bag as this may result in...you guessed it...tannin extraction. You can rinse with 160-170 degree water if you want but there really isn't any reason to.
4) Bring to boil, remove from heat, add extract, return to boil and start hop additions.

spottedbass said:
i have read on how you should steep grains and got several different ideas, what gives.... 1= put grains in bag and put in cold water and leave until water is almost boiling then remove. 2= heat water to 170 degrees and steep at 165-170 for 30 min. my questions are, cover pot or not....what is the correct time,.... what is the correct temp. to steep at,.... should you pour more water over it after u remove it,...and last but not least, should u squeeze the bag? sorry about all the questions, just want to make sure im gettin the most out of my grains. and 1 more i was told you only get about 10% when you steep carapils, is this true. thanks for any help
I like puuting the crushed grain in 160 deg water for 30 mins. I don't use a bag for the grains but pour the liquid through a colander that has cheeseclth in it. I think that extracts most of the flavors you are after when using specialty grains.

If you steep carapils, you get a lot of starch and not much else.

PS Part of brewing is learning what works for you. There are almost always 2, 3, 4 or more ways to do just about everything.

Back