Clone Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmD

Reaction score
Ever since I lived in Yellowstone I have been in love with Moose Drool. It was my beer of choice on those lovely payday/nights down the mountain in Gardner Montana. Happy hour at the Blue Goose Bar with pitchers for 4$ was always a blast too.
I looked at the breweries web site and they were a bit cryptic. They listed the ingredients as pale, caramel, chocolate and whole black malts with the hops being Liberty, Kent and Willamette. OG: 13 plato and 5.3% ABV.
I was wondering if anyone has tried to make this beer before and if so what was successful/unsuccessful. I've only made one porter and I like it but I think its a bit bitter. I loved the way Big Sky brewing balanced the Malt in Moose Drool.
I'm an partial mash/ extract brewer so any advice is great.

Here is what it says on their site:

I know I have seen this recipe in a magazine lately, I will look in a while.

It's chocolate brown in color with a creamy texture. A malty beer with just enough hop presence to keep it from being too sweet. The aroma mostly comes from the malt with a hint of spice added by the hops. Moose Drool is brewed with pale, caramel, chocolate, and whole black malts; and Kent Goldings, Liberty, and Willamette hops. It has an original gravity of 13 degrees Plato, and is 4.2% alcohol by weight, 5.3% by volume.

I'm pretty sure that someone on the forum has that, or at least something that they have named that, on their signature. I'll around a bit and see if I can find it. If I do I'll post an edit.

Moose Drool happens to be my all time favorite beer. I've tried a number of times to replicate it and I've never even come close. If you develop or find a good clone please let me know!

Weird- Moose Drool wasnt selling very well until they changed the name to Moose Drool.

I never thought it was that great

I still have not tried it, but my brother in law, who's taste is fairly similar to mine, says he would rather drink a pint of drool from a real moose than drink another bottle of that stuff. I guess I am going to have to go grab a bottle and give this a shot.

The drool I drank was always from the tap and as I say Tap OK bottles noway.

Give my Dark Ale recipe a try. Add the flaked oats to add some of that drool smoothness. If you like Moose Drool, I guarantee you'll enjoy this.

Back