Adding "Kick" to peach wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkmorgan

Reaction score
I am making a 6 gallon batch of peach wine for swmbo. Whenever we are west of Knoxville, I take her to a winery in Crossville, Tn, because she loves the smell of their peach wine.

The batch I am making doesn't seem to have as much "peachiness" as the Crossville wine, and I am looking for a way to add a little bit of extra flavor when backsweetening. Here are the options I have considered:

1. Sugar combined with artificial peach flavoring
  2. Heavy syrup taken from canned peaches
  3. A peach reduction made by boiling peaches and water
  4. A peach syrup made by soaking peaches in sugar, or sugar-water for a few days

I am leaning toward the last option, but I would like to hear your thoughts on which option you would go with. Also, for the last two options, does it make much difference whether the peaches are canned, frozen, or fresh? I assume fresh is better, but it may be hard to get good fresh peaches this time of year.

Hmmmmm......
A while back there was a McCormick(flavors & spices) ad on HBT. I checked it out, and they have all sorts of stuff. Worth a try.
You prob'ly should add flavors AFTER ferm'n, so yeast don't turn it into crud. Good luck.

Hmmmmm......
A while back there was a McCormick(flavors & spices) ad on HBT. I checked it out, and they have all sorts of stuff. Worth a try.
You prob'ly should add flavors AFTER ferm'n, so yeast don't turn it into crud. Good luck.

Thank for the response, Al. I did find some artificial peach flavoring at a small business supply store. I am still leaning toward making a peach syrup, because I've never had artificial flavoring that tasted like the item depicted on the label. That does give me a thought, though. I really should label the one gallon mark on my primary. I could divide the batch into two or more sub-batches, at bottling, adding peach flavoring to one, and peach syrup to the other.

And I agree with you about waiting until the ferment is finished. I would definitely hold off on any of this until it has been stabilized.

I would try doing a reduction and a simple syrup. I would do it because you don't want to over sweeten the wine but you want to make sure you get the max flavor. Wait till after adding the potassium sorbate and then give it a whirl. They do make flavoring a specifically for wine making but I have never tried them. Good luck!

The thought never crossed my mind to back sweeten with the syrup from a can of peaches...but it actually sounds like a pretty good idea....

The thought never crossed my mind to back sweeten with the syrup from a can of peaches...but it actually sounds like a pretty good idea....

Thanks. Wal mart sells them in restaurant sized containers. At ones time I considered getting a can and making peach cobbler, while using the syrup to help them wine.

I back sweetened my last peach wine with frozen/thawed Welch's white grape peach concentrate. It has a very peachy aroma and worked real well.

Necro-thread alert!!!!

Racked a peach wine today and am thinking ahead to backsweetening. I like the idea of using peach juice or perhaps a combination of peach juice and simple syrup. Any other thoughts, ideas, advice?

Welches frozen white grape and peach frozen concentrates. Sweet and flavorfull. A little goes a long way. You can simmer it down further if you want it more concentrated.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Back