Smoked Spiced Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain23

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast German Ale
Yeast Starter
n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
22.0 IBU
Color
41° SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days, 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 Days, 68F
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Malty, but balanced with the spices, hops and pumpkin, slight smoke note
6 lbs Light DME
24 oz jar Molasses

Steeping Grains:
1 lb Crystal Malt 60L
1 lb Munich Malt
1 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Smoked Malt

6 lbs, roasted Mexican pumpkin (roasted at 350F for 1.5 hours)

90 Min Spices:
1 tblsp. whole star anise
4 cinnamon sticks
1 whole nutmeg
2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground cloves
10 Min. Spices: Whole cinnamon stick, couple whole star anise. Additional cardamom

90 Min. Hops: Columbus (10.9% AA), 1 oz
10 Min. Aroma/Flavor Hops: Fuggles, 1 oz

Steep steeping grains in nearly boiling water for 1 hour. Add hot wort to extract, molasses and roasted pumpkin. Add bittering hops and spices. Cook at full boil for 90 minutes. During last ten add additional aroma hops and spices. Rack to fermenter. Top with cold water to make five gallons and pitch yeast starter.

Though I've been brewing for a while, this was only my fourth batch of beer. It came out really good though! A little bitter, balanced against the sweet, but with pumpkin and spices shining though (not too much though). I imagine this will continue to improve as it ages. I'm sure it could be improved upon as an all grain recipe, or playing with the hops. The hops that I selected gave it a citrusy note that played against the other flavors well.

A note on "Mexican Pumpkin"- this is a Hispanic variety that I used because that is what is available in my neighborhood (mostly Latino demographic). I'm sure it would work well with any pumpkin variety, or even another hard winter squash like Hubbard, Butternut, Cushaw, etc.

Oh man, it is fantastic! The hops mellowed allowing the spices to come through a little more, just more balanced in general. Just polished off the last bottle last week. I'll definitely be brewing this again next fall!

Im going to be brewing next week, im going to give this a shot. It sounds mighty tasty. would you compare it to DFH Punkin' Ale?

I would say the spices are a little different. Also, more pumpkin flavor. Let us know how it goes! :mug:

Did you just throw all the pumpkin in the boil? No bag, just all in? Or did you use some sort of straining device?

After carmelizing in the oven, I threw the pumpkin in my boil and then strained the glop out with a sanitized strainer when it cooled. You could use a large fruit or grain bag. Are you going canned pumpkin or fresh? Cheers!

Well last night I went with 2 lbs of canned pumpkin and 12oz of honey, mixed well. Baked at 300 for an hour. Then after steeping my grains for 30 min, I then threw the pumpkin in with the rest of my extract. Mixed them till it was nice liquid then finished up the rest of the brew.

ForumRunner_20120104_125336.jpg

I'm new to brewing but this recipe looks great and fairly simple. What yeast would you suggest?

I used Wyeast 1007: German Ale yeast, but I bet any clean fermenting yeast would work great.

Thanks. I'll probably start this batch next weekend. I need to work on finding all of the ingredients first.

Back