back sweetening and kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialized

Reaction score
I made a cider recently that I allowed to ferment out to 1.000. Now it's time to keg and I want to backsweeten, with apple juice concentrate. I don't have any access to potassium sorbate, and won't for a few days. However I want to get the cider in a keg and hopefully have it partially carbed by thanksgiving. If I keep the keg chilled around 40!F will the yeast continue to ferment? I used dry champagne yeast, I think danstar. Also can I add potassium sorbate later when I can get my hands on some?

The Champagne Yeast should be so slow at 40 F that while it will still work to some small degree it will be so slow that the results in only a couple of days would be negligible

after doing a little more research i think i'm just going to keep it cold and not bother with the potasium. I'll see how long it will stay sweet. And if it ferments out i'll just sweeten in the glass.

Back