Belgian Blond Ale Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mashed in with 3.5 gallons. You live, you learn. It's my fourth all-grain batch. Never mashed in at 178 before, so it was new territory for me. We'll see what happens.

What size batch? How much grain (in lbs)?

Very helpful! I’ll be doing this recipe soon and I too was confused by mash in @ 178 but then mash @ 158. Thanks!

In answer to your original question though, for BIAB and variants, the process is:

• Heat water up to strike temperature. This is the water temperature that, based on the weight of the grain bill, temperature of the grains, and volume of water that when you add the grains the resultant temperature is your mash temperature.
• Add grains
• Stir to ensure no balling and mash for the appropriate time.

Since I do FV, no sparge, BIAB, for this recipe my system would have required heating a little over 8 gal of water to 165.7 F.
At that point I would have put the bag in the kettle, added the grains, and stirred.
That would have resulted in the mash being right at 158 F.
I would stir once at ~20 min and then at 45 min after which I would pull the bag.

I changed from the original recipe. Mashed at 149.

1.069 - 1.013 = 7.3 abv

Color is spot on. The original is a tad sweeter and more aroma and more clove. This is my second time brewing this and really a solid recipe. I still believe this beer gets better as it ages. Homebrew version has less aroma but still solid. My beer is not as prickly which makes me think I need to play with the water profile some.

Can you pick out the real Leffe?

CECB9F38-DB8C-4AE9-A6F3-2DCAB97C7F55.jpeg

Last edited:
In answer to your original question though, for BIAB and variants, the process is:

• Heat water up to strike temperature. This is the water temperature that, based on the weight of the grain bill, temperature of the grains, and volume of water that when you add the grains the resultant temperature is your mash temperature.
• Add grains
• Stir to ensure no balling and mash for the appropriate time.

Since I do FV, no sparge, BIAB, for this recipe my system would have required heating a little over 8 gal of water to 165.7 F.
At that point I would have put the bag in the kettle, added the grains, and stirred.
That would have resulted in the mash being right at 158 F.
I would stir once at ~20 min and then at 45 min after which I would pull the bag.
A belated "thank you'' for this. Your advice is very similar to how I brewed my first three all-grain batches. I'm still trying to get my head around why the original recipe called for a mash-in temp of 178 (to get to 158). It think it's what did me in on brew day. BTW, I added a lot of DME because my post-boil SG was very low, I'm guessing because my temp was way too high. Still holding out hope it will taste good in the end!

1.069 - 1.013 = 7.3 abv

Color is spot on. The original is a tad sweeter and more aroma and more clove. This is my second time brewing this and really a solid recipe. I still believe this beer gets better as it ages. Homebrew version has less aroma but still solid. My beer is not as prickly which makes me think I need to play with the water profile some.

View attachment 782552
I can't. Both look awesome.

1.069 - 1.013 = 7.3 abv

View attachment 782552
By far I only brew Belgium Bier, haven't been brewing for 2 years now. I only brew all grain and also had made a Leffe, Hoegaarden, a golden ale and some others I can't remember off hand. I have many clone recipes and will review them soon. Your beer looks great! Do you use Belgium candy at all?

I'm still trying to get my head around why the original recipe called for a mash-in temp of 178 (to get to 158).

The recipe lists that for a traditional 3 vessel brewing system.

With that one would have a thick mash with a smaller proportion of water, hence a much higher temperature needed to combine to the 158 F mash temperature.

1.069 - 1.013 = 7.3 abv

View attachment 782552forgot to pick one .. lol I'm going with the beer on the left ..They are very close .. if I had a sip I could be spot on.

The recipe lists that for a traditional 3 vessel brewing system.

With that one would have a thick mash with a smaller proportion of water, hence a much higher temperature needed to combine to the 158 F mash temperature.
Ah. As I said earlier, lesson learned. And I know there will be more lessons to come with this hobby!

Category 18a Belgian Blonde.

This is MY INTERPRETATION of a clone of Leffe Blonde that I came up with for AHC big brew day in May. It was created by my usual method of looking at other Leffe Clones recipes, starting by overlapping the similarities, and tweaking til I achieved over several batches the taste profile I was looking for. It ws created by the same methods described in the Introduction to create clones/de-engineering in BYO's 150 clone brew recipes. Then repeatedly it was sampled alongside the original by several brewer friends and even a couple bjcp judges informally. All felt this final version was a tasty approximation of the original.

I find that Leffe, has a nice "graininess" that has really come out nicely in this recipe.

I just discovered 2 bottles in the back of my brew closet (5 months later) and it is delicious. Even better I think now, then when it was "fresh" That's why I have decided to actually let this recipe go, and quit tweaking it.

Revvy's Blonde
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 4/25/2010
Style: Belgian Blond Ale Brewer: Michael
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.41 gal
Boil Time: 90 min (Pilsner malts)

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs 13.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.61 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.32 %
5.3 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2.75 %
3.5 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 1.83 %

1.36 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 23.4 IBU
0.71 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 7.0 IBU

10.6 oz Sugar, Table (Last 15 minutes of boil) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5.49 %

1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale

Mash In: Add 14.20 qt of water at 178.4 F
Hold mash at 158.0 F for 45 min

Note #1 (fEdited from an answer given earlier in the thread)
The reason for mashing at 158 came from doing research into the style from somewhere that I can't even recall.

It may seem high, but the reason for doing so is that Beta Amylase enzymes denature at 158. This leaves more unfermentable long chain dextrins, you will have more "weight" and more mouthfeel with the 158f mash temp but about the same starting gravity, and the final gravity will be higher as well.

You get more mouthfeel this way so that when you add the table sugar to the boil, you get the gravity boost but it's not "thin and cidery" like happens with many beers when you boost with a simple sugar. With this higher temp mash there still is decent mouthfeel and even great lacing on the glass from the proteins.

Sparge with 4.47 gal of 168.0 F water.

Add water to achieve boil volume of 6.41 gal

Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.058 SG with all grains/extracts added.

Note This is a great Belgian Base recipe that you can add fruit to if your are inclined. it can be a great panty dropper for anywomen who may like sweet beers.

You can rack it to a seondary with whatever fruit you like. Peaches, Mango, Strawberry, whatever works for you. You can use frozen, fresh, canned or even extract.

I've done it with frozen peaches.

If you want some extra sweetness to pep up your fruit, either add 1/2 pound (or more) of lactose in the boil, or even along with your priming sugar at bottling time. Just dillute it along with your priming sugar in 2 cups of water.

Enjoy!

:mug:

I'll try to throw a PM version of this up later.

Legal Disclaimer This is the author's interpretation of the beer, his homage, it is not an officially SANCTIONED clone recognized by the official clone sanctionaing body of beery nirvana (EAC), and shouldn't be thought of as one. It may not even use ingredients similar to the original recipe, but it will contain the following, grain, water, hops, yeast. Your Mileage may vary. All prior agreements, discussions, representations, warranties, and covenants are merged herein. There are no warranties, representations, covenants, or agreements, express or implied, between the parties except those expressly set forth in this agreement. Any amendments or modifications of this agreement shall be in writing and executed by the contracting parties. If you drink, don't drive. If you fold, spindle of mutilate this recipe, you will violate your warranty. This disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized use, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, removal of tag, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom, crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB’s, paintball, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.). No license, express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, to any Intellectual property rights are granted herein. The Brewer Revvy (TBR) disclaims all liability, including liability for infringement of any proprietary rights, relating to use of information in this specification. TBR does not warrant or represent that such use will not infringe such rights. In fact, that’s a very strong possibility.
Nothing in this document constitutes a guarantee, warranty, or license, express or implied. TBR disclaims all liability for all such guaranties, warranties, and licenses, including but not limited to: fitness for a particular purpose; merchantability; non-infringement of intellectual property or other rights of any third party or of TBR; indemnity; and all others. The reader is advised that third parties may have intellectual property rights that may be relevant to this document and the technologies discussed herein, and is advised to seek the advice of competent legal counsel, without obligation to TBR. In other words, get your own #$^%#$ lawyer before you hurt yourself. These materials are provided by TBR as a service to his friends and/or customers and may be used for informational purposes only. If you brew it you will make a beer that tastes close to the afore mentioned beer, so stfu and brew it already. This is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this email, although the yorkshire terriernext door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft: However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you have
received this email in error, please add some nutmeg and egg whites and place it in a warm oven for 40 minutes. Whisk briefly and let it stand for 2 hours before icing. Don't you just love when the legal cover your ass boilerplate is longer than the actual commercial? That's what you get when you have people like the folks below on this planet sucking up all the air, and making you have to write drivel like this when you could be sipping coffee and helping new brewers not **** themselves because their airlock is not bubbling. And as always, viewer discretion, is advised.
;)
Funniest disclaimer I have ever read!! I'm going to try this recipe just because of the disclaimer! Thanks for both!

Bump...

Just ordered my grains for the 3rd version of this. Going to use BE256 due to White Labs pure pitch pricing themselves out of homebrewing. I just cant pay $20 for a pack of yeast, this is insane. I have been brewing for 7yrs now and this is a really solid recipe. I think this recipe is severely underrated and surprised this thread hasn't had a comment in two years. If you haven't brewed this you are missing out, but then again i am a huge fan of Belgian beer.

Last edited:
I've brewed a few Belgians with the abbaye dry yeast you mentioned for exactly the same reason, and each time felt it was every bit as good as the wlp530... just my 2 cents

Back