Any perfect records?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHole

Reaction score
Anybody out there with a perfect brewing record? i.e. never made an undrinkable batch?

I've never made anything even close to undrinkable--maybe I've just been lucky. I've had a couple batches that we're slightly disappointing, but not even close to undrinkable.

One thing that I think works in my favor is that I had been the 365-day-a-year cook in my family for almost 20 years before I took up brewing. So I'm very comfortable with kitchen quality control, basic food science, etc.

So far, so good. My first batch had a slight burnt malt flavor to it (my boil pot was too small), but it was still pretty good and I still drank it. In fact, I gave some to people with less refined palates and they didn't even notice. Or maybe they were just so thankful for free beer they didn't want to say anything. :cross:

I wouldn't say my record is "perfect" by any means. I've had gushers, I've had estery summer-brewed ales, I've had a perfectly good Goat Scrotum Porter nearly ruined because I followed Papazian's directions and added 1oz of spruce extract. No, not perfect by any means...but I haven't had to dump anything yet. While imperfect, they're all still drinkable. Then again, it would take alot to get me to dump my precioussssss homebrew wholesale.

I'm six for six on ones that have gotten all the way to the bottle, and I'm brewing my eighth batch right now. Although, I doubt anyone could really say they've been "perfect" in their brewing. Most mistakes don't end up being disastrous, luckily. And I have definitely made some mistakes.

I've done 8 so far and none had to be tossed, however, there were a couple that just weren't "all that." But, I drank them anyway. Tossing drinkable brew down the drain is just sinful.

No bad'ns yet. But I always brew what I know and what I like.
Old style strong English Ales of medium plus hoppage. Darkish Clour, good body and a little malty sweetness. They really cover up mistakes quit well.

Saying that I've gone of piste with the last 5 ales. 2 IPAs, 2 Blondes and a Session bitter. They may show up any short comings.

Back to good old Hobgoblin for this one though.

Homebrewer99, I know what you mean. I have had two wheat batches that did not cut it for me. Needless to say as soon as I had something good to replace them they got dumped. Other than that I have had good luck.

I've never come close to dumping a batch in close to twelve years. Even the first boring brown ale I made from a kit was better than a bud....I guess i'm lucky I've never ruined one by infection.

My first ever batch (hefeweizen) should have been undrinkable, I think it was infected. But as this was my first batch and first homebrew I attributed the taste to what it was supposed to be like. I drank it all mostly out of spite.

I have had good beers since and really watch my sanitation. :mug:

Nope. I was had some LME that didn't go into solution quickly enough and became a burnt mess on the bottom of my brew kettle. The beer tasted like an ash tray.

My last batch was an awful IPA from extract. I kept waiting and tasting to see if there was any improvement but it still tasted like crap. I felt bad about dumping it, so I left them on the sidewalk and wrote "free" on the box. They were gone the next day.

I figure I have brewed thousands of gallons and only screwed the pooch on one.

That was in the early days when I used my first smack pack and neglected to read the instructions about smacking ahead of time.

By the time it finally swelled, I had an astringent undrinkable mess.

Live and learn.

Cheers,

knewshound

15 tries at fermentation, counting sauerkraut. One miss- Cactus Patty juice. Apparently cactus is poly-fructans, not poly-glucosses. It takes totally different critters besides cerveceriiia. I had even tried mashing it with 50% pale malt.... ETA, oooo, maybe if I try a citric acid boil to break the chain lengths, like for invert sugar???

The white film on my current carboy fell this week, it looks and smells like beer now. The guy at the HBS says it just may be to cold for Cal V now.... I'll wait another week before bottling. So I'm still 14:15, for another month anyhow...

Well I guess my record is perfect so far. I do have one that not many can drink, but I drink one or two once in a while......

One thing that I think works in my favor is that I had been the 365-day-a-year cook in my family for almost 20 years before I took up brewing. So I'm very comfortable with kitchen quality control, basic food science, etc.

I have been cooking for 60 years so I also am very comfortable with kitchen quality control, basic food science, etc.

I have done 17 batches with no repeat recipes and each have been good, very drinkable beer.

Latest posts

Back