Short Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disdaint

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon i put together my 2nd brew with a Muntons Nut Brown ale kit following the same precedure as i did with my first, which turned out fine. I noticed that this time round the wort didn't produce nearly as much foam or "head" early in the process. I added the yeast from the kit dry by sprinkling it on top and put it away to ferment. The airlock showed no activity for about 10 hours or so. This is a lot longer than it took my first brew to start. Also this 2nd brew hasn't seemed to bubble through the airlock as vigorously. And now after approx 20 hours after the airlock showed activity it has slowed to effectively zero.

So i guess my question is, is this a concern? Is my yeast dead?

My first brew was a Munich Lager kit.

nah probably not dead. not all yeast act the same. also what are the temps when you pitch and what is the tamp the primary is in??
as everone else say relax have a homebrew:tank:

My first brew (Scottish Ale) took two days to start fermentation (dry yeast sprinkled in) and finished in 6 days.
My third brew (Weizenbier) started fermenting at 8 hours, the krausen got into the airlock and finished in 2 days.
I've done a total of 5 brews now and every fermentation is different.

Fermentation can be really different and odd sometimes. I recently posted about how I didn't notice any airlock activity on my most recent batch. For two days nothing. I repitched a pack of the yeast, and guess what...no airlock activity! So as a last resort (I tend to only check my gravity when I am ready to bottle or rack) I checked the gravity and you know what? It is about %93 through the fermentation process. Every strain of yeast is different and will even behave differently in different temperatures and a few other factors. Some yeast blast through a batch while others just kind of chug along almost quietly...this is of course an oversimplification but you get the idea I'm sure. ;)

[edit]I suppose I should mention that the possibility exists that I missed the airlock activity if it happened really fast[/edit]

the same has happened to me. My first batch when through fermentation in about 24-48 hours and then dead.

all come down to your pitching temp wether or not you did a starter if you know nothing about start to read up on it and also airetion. both will help you i your furture brews:drunk:

Thanks for all the info guys.

I have notice today that there is a layer or foam/bubbles on the surface of the beer now. Still no airlock activity but i am more confident that i haven't killed my yeast.

I think for my next brew i will start the yeast before adding it to the wort.

Back