Wort cold break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Ale

Reaction score
I was wondering...

I want to do 5 gallon full boils for my extract brews. I know I will need a wort chiller. Now the question is, how fast do you have to bring down the temp to achieve a really good cold break?

Has anyone ever packed the hose that runs into the wort chiller in to a cooler of ice. I was thinking this would drop the temp on the incoming water to the low 40's dF. and provide for quicker cooling. Is this theory wrong?:confused:

Yeah, you can make a pre-chiller. Lots of people in the south do it because their tap water is so warm in the summer. Generally, it's a second length of coiled tubing that gets immersed in an ice bath.

My ugly-ass-sin dual-coil chiller got the wort from boiling to under 90 in about ten minutes, quick enough where I could see the cold break forming. Looks so far like this brew's going to be a lot clearer than the previous ones.

Latest posts

Back