Strong Scotch Ale Protocol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Well, I have 6 gallons of OG 1.075 strong scotch ale in a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket fermenter. It is fermenting away perfectly at 60 degrees with nottingham ale yeast. This ale will need 2-3 weeks at this temp to finish up in primary..this is all fine and dandy. My problem is what to do after primary is done. I have a bunch of 5 gallon glass carboys, but I have 6 gallons of beer. The way I see it I have 2 options.

1. Primary for 3 weeks, bottle condition for a month or two

1. primary for 2 weeks and then split the batch up with 3 gallons in each of two 5 gallon glass carboys. I am worried about oxidation with all the headspace.

what should I do?...I don't think I can keep that strong of an ale in plastic for too long.

Do you have any 1/2 gallon growlers?

I would fill a glass carboy leaving minimal head space and then fill a 1/2 gallon growler with minimal head space (it would be a little bit above 1/2 gallon) and stopper with airlock.

You will have lost some to trub so you won't get a full 6 gallons of beer.

If your going to keep doing 6 gallon batchs, invest in 2 three gallon carboys for conditioning or a 6.5 gallon carboy

The six gallon batch was kind of an accident...it shouldn't happen again. I bet I can fit 5.5 gallons in a five gallon carboy so maybe it will all workout. I have a few weeks to figure something out. 6.5 gallon carboy would be perfect.

Back