Crossing Canada/USA border

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrFtr28

Reaction score
My wife and I are thinking about visiting Niagara Falls for our anniversary next month and I was looking to get some input on what type of id will work to cross the border. I know as of June 1st that you need either a passport or an enhanced driver's license (which my state does not issue). My question is has anybody crossed from Canada into the U.S. using only their driver's license and birth certificate in the past few months?

My wife and I are thinking about visiting Niagara Falls for our anniversary next month and I was looking to get some input on what type of id will work to cross the border. I know as of June 1st that you need either a passport or an enhanced driver's license (which my state does not issue). My question is has anybody crossed from Canada into the U.S. using only their driver's license and birth certificate in the past few months?

No, I don't know of anyone who's been sucessful in doing that. We're going to Canada for our fishing trip, and the friends who are going with us have to get the enhanced driver's licenses. There are other items that would work- see this webpage: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative You can get a "passport" card much cheaper than a passport: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

No, I don't know of anyone who's been sucessful in doing that. We're going to Canada for our fishing trip, and the friends who are going with us have to get the enhanced driver's licenses. There are other items that would work- see this webpage: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative You can get a "passport" card much cheaper than a passport: U.S. Passport Card

I did see that passport card. It says it could take 4 to 6 weeks to receive, and we were wanting to go in the middle of October which would be cutting it close. That might be the way to go.

There is a "speedy" option for getting a passport (and I'm sure the passport card, as well) for an extra fee.

My girlfriend and I are going to Niagra in 2 weeks. We had even less time than you, so we just decided we wouldn't worry about going to Canada.

From what I remember when I was there a long time ago, although the Canadian falls are bigger, the American falls and surrounding area are nicer.

My girlfriend and I are going to Niagra in 2 weeks. We had even less time than you, so we just decided we wouldn't worry about going to Canada.

From what I remember when I was there a long time ago, although the Canadian falls are bigger, the American falls and surrounding area are nicer.

We talked about staying on the American side. I've only been on the Canadian side myself, so it might be a nice change. Any tips on where to stay or what to do there?

In April of 2008 I did the standard passport option and had it in like 3 weeks.

With the recent change in passport requirements, I'm sure there are a lot more people applying which would delay the processing time. I could be wrong, though.

I'd call canada customs. I don't think canada has changed their entry requirements (I called today to ask if my kids needed passports and heard it on the recorded message) . You should be OK with a drivers license and birth certificate.

John

We talked about staying on the American side. I've only been on the Canadian side myself, so it might be a nice change. Any tips on where to stay or what to do there?

No clue on what to do. We're going to play it by ear I guess. That usually works out. We're staying in a Bed & Breakfast thats within 10 min walk to the falls. From what I can tell, there is a good bit of hiking in the area, which we both like to do.

I'd call canada customs. I don't think canada has changed their entry requirements (I called today to ask if my kids needed passports and heard it on the recorded message) . You should be OK with a drivers license and birth certificate.

John

I don't think we would have a problem getting into Canada, it's getting back into the states that's questionable. I would hate to get there and not be allowed back in. Anyone know what would happen if they do detain us at the border? I'm sure they have some way of verifying our citizenship, it's just a matter of time.

John

Just picture yourself waiting on the Canadian side while they verify your American Citizenship for re-entry. While it may only take an ID if that to get into Canada, you are required to have a passport to get back into the USA.

I go to sister Canada ... but not for the waterfalls =)- oooOO

Back