LME and DME question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakis

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm hoping to brew the NB Saison De Noel recipe tomorrow. The recipe calls for 6lbs of Pilsner malt syrup and 1lb of Briess Pilsner dme. However, my local home brew store doesn't have any pilsner malt syrup. They do however have briess Pilsner DME. Would it be okay to just use 5lbs of the DME instead.

Jake

Hey all,

I'm hoping to brew the NB Saison De Noel recipe tomorrow. The recipe calls for 6lbs of Pilsner malt syrup and 1lb of Briess Pilsner dme. However, my local home brew store doesn't have any pilsner malt syrup. They do however have briess Pilsner DME. Would it be okay to just use 5lbs of the DME instead.

Jake

Jake,

There might be a slight difference in OG by using dry vs liquid but at the 5lb level, it's too small to worry about. It'll most likely come in a few points high.

You should be fine subbing in the DME.

Hey all,

Jake

Yes - No problem.

The grains used to make the DME should be the same as for LME but it is a little cheaper to make LME since they don't have to remove all the water. You should be fine to substitute if you convert the amounts required as mentioned by Unionrdr.

Back