Where should I order a recipe kit online? & DME vs LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfingpl

Reaction score
I want to buy a beer kit to make my 3rd batch. I am interested in trying steeping grains next. It seems like my LHBS is more expensive when it comes to just about everything. I do support them as much as I can, but I think I would like to order an ingedient kit online to save $ and try some other vendors.

Austin Homebrew Supply has a special on an Amber kit for $19.95 plus you have to pay for some other stuff like yeast. That seems really inexpensive!

I guess my concerns are that the kits seem to come with LME, and so far I have used DME - I read that DME is better? Also the lists of ingredients at some online vendors is not very specific - like how much of what kind of hops come in the kits?

So - do you guys have a recommendation on where to buy the kits, and where to get them with DME (or do I just use LME?). Thank you!

I've ordered from Austin Hombrew Supply and have nothing but good to say about them. If you check out their "clone" brews you will find nice kits set up with lme, dme and steeping grains. I prefer dme over lme, but that being said, if lme is fresh and used right away, it works well. The lme I've ordered from Austin Homebrew seems very fresh.

Loop

Yes, me too. I've ordered a number of kits from them, and while they all had LME, the LME was fresh and not "extract twangy" at all. I've also ordered from NorthernBrewer.com, and been very pleased with them.

I think with yeast, most extract kits are in the $30 range, more or less. Some of the more highly hopped kits or the "double" anythings are more. At AHS, though, you can order a kit or two, and either dry yeast to save money, or use the same yeast twice in a row by reusing the yeast cake. So, you can order one kit with yeast, one without, and use the yeast twice. That'll save you about $6. Or, like I said, use dry yeast instead of liquid to save about $5 per batch.

If you want an extract kit austin, midwest, or northern have a good turn around and the LME should be fresh. I have only used midwest and have no problem with my friends saying I brew a smoooth beer.

Let me just say I ordered kits from austin home brew and can't speak highly enough of them. I also propositioned Forrest, the owner to have my gay love child very publicly on this forum because I was so happy with his kits.

* Just an idea,
Will your LHBS price match? That way, you can get your supplies without waiting for the shipping.
As far as LME vs DME, the short story is: with LME in a can, you risk the off flavors from the aluminum. With LME shipped in plastic, not an issue, but your beer will be a little darker than with DME, and you will really need to be careful not to scorch it when you pour it in. With DME, it is a little harder to mix in & more expensive, but it can provide a lighter colored beer. Whatever you decide, do a search for "late extract addition"...

Thanks for the answers guys. Sounds like the Austin Hombrew Supply kits are popular. I also just started looking at MoreBeer, they are in California (me too) so I'll be looking into that too.

As for LHBS price matching - I'd rather not ask them to. I'll just pay the price they are asking for the things I need in a hurry, or for the things I think are priced fairly. The shop is actually owned by somebody I know, so I don't have any problem handing over my money. But I would like to try buying from other vendors so I can get a feel for the different products and services.

Oh, and thanks for the tipon the late extract addition!

I haven't tried any other online store besides Midwest. I may not try another now, because I had some stuff rush-delivered for a brew party a few weeks ago, and the price they charged me was $6.00 more than the actual cost. They credited it back to me, even though they didn't have to. I never would have known about the difference if they'd been dishonest. Two thumbs up for Midwest!

I haven't ordered from anybody other than AHS but I'd like to add that the way they package their kits is amazing. Everything is sealed in plastic, the hops are vacuum sealed, and the instructions are good. I started the amber kit you're speaking about this weekend on the yeast cake of their sweet stout kit and it's coming along nicely. I used a late extract addition method and the color is quite nice - can't wait until it clears.

I'm a big fan of Northern Brewer, their ingredients are great and they include smack packs in the price of the kit instead of charging extra for it like AHS. AHS appears to charge extra for some stuff that's included in NB kits. However AHS allows more customization of a kit and I like how you can order partial mash kits for anything, Northern Brewer only has a few partial mash kits. All in all though, I've been happy with kits from both places and I'm sure either one would treat you well.

EDIT: Wow, Northern Brewer kits went up a little bit from about 6 weeks ago! Still not bad or anything but I'm glad I stocked up.

I must have it good at my LHBS...

Extract is $2 a Lb, Hops are $2.50 an OZ, Steeping grains are $1 a Lb, and Wyeast is $4.95 for the propogator (make a starter) pack and $5.95 for the inoculator (pitchable) pack.

That puts me at about $25 a batch.... AND it's right on my way home from work!!!

I don't know about many of the other places people have mentioned because i am new at this, but my LHBS (which is actually 7 hours away) seems to really have their act together. I've used two of their kits and have been very impressed. Prices include liquid yeasts, bottle caps, grain bags and really everything you'd need to brew (minus large hardware, of course), but you can customize the items as needed. They also give you the option of having your grains crushed there or shipped whole.

Again, it just seems to be a well-run place. Oh, and it's based in Tulsa, Okla. If you get their newsletter they often offer things like 10 percent off and such. Not going to make you rich, but will certainly help.

Highgravitybrew.com

Bell's General Store has everything I need, but I should check out some of the online stores. Bell's keeps running out of hops very quickly and it takes them a month to get in their reorders.

The only problem I've found with DME is the foam that it produces when you are adding it to the boil. This foam is produced even if the pots off the fire, though not as much. The only problem I've found with LME is that you have to heat it up before pouring it into your wort. Heating it up (I learned this from the Food network show "Good Eats") lets it pour easier. If you stir the wort you shouldn't have any problems with scortching on either side. I think it's all about personal preferance.

jmiracle said:
Wow, Northern Brewer kits went up a little bit from about 6 weeks ago! Still not bad or anything but I'm glad I stocked up.

I 'bout cried when i got their new catalog. Damned hop shortage! Still a great organization, flat rate shipping, LME seemed fresh too. I've brewed 2 kits, the mild ale, which tastes great, and the tongue splitter which is fermenting like a muther right now.... Also ordered my equipment started kit from them. Definitely will order from them again.

I've ordered from northern brewer and midwest supplies and just yesterday from austin (i assume that's the AHS you guys are always talking about).
prices seem to fluctuate wherever.

I'd love to support my LHBS but the variety for the one in the city of chicago that i know of is just mediocre and the others are all too far from me to get there regularly.

surfingpl said:
I want to buy a beer kit to make my 3rd batch. I am interested in trying steeping grains next. It seems like my LHBS is more expensive when it comes to just about everything. I do support them as much as I can, but I think I would like to order an ingedient kit online to save $ and try some other vendors.

Austin Homebrew Supply has a special on an Amber kit for $19.95 plus you have to pay for some other stuff like yeast. That seems really inexpensive!

I guess my concerns are that the kits seem to come with LME, and so far I have used DME - I read that DME is better? Also the lists of ingredients at some online vendors is not very specific - like how much of what kind of hops come in the kits?

So - do you guys have a recommendation on where to buy the kits, and where to get them with DME (or do I just use LME?). Thank you!

IDK what the prices are like at your LHBS but don't forget to take shipping into consideration when you order online. Especially when it's heavy stuff like extract, or perishables like liquid yeast. You might find that after paying for shipping that you are close to or over what it would cost at your LHBS. If you decided to order I can vouch for Midwest Home Brew Supply, they are the only place I've ordered from and they were very prompt and reasonably priced. I'm lucky enough to have 5 LHBS's within 10 miles of me so I don't order much online.:mug:

Well, austinhomebrew has $6.99 shipping flat rate, so that's a great deal. It's not limited, either- I buy grain, carboys, wine kits, etc.

Northernbrewer.com has $7.99 shipping, but some things (like sacks of grain, carboys, etc) are excluded. A great deal, I think, for both.

I wanted to order a discounted wine kit at Midwest the other day, but shipping for the one wine kit was $14.99 so I didn't order anything after all.

YooperBrew said:
Well, austinhomebrew has $6.99 shipping flat rate, so that's a great deal. It's not limited, either- I buy grain, carboys, wine kits, etc.

Northernbrewer.com has $7.99 shipping, but some things (like sacks of grain, carboys, etc) are excluded. A great deal, I think, for both.

I wanted to order a discounted wine kit at Midwest the other day, but shipping for the one wine kit was $14.99 so I didn't order anything after all.

Like I said I don't order much online. I did remember that Morebeer was offering free shipping on orders over $59, so you might want to check them out. That's a good deal from Austin Hombrew Supply too, I might have to take a look and maybe place an order.

I ordered two kits from MoreBeer today - an IPA (at $34.95 this seemed like a good deal considering it comes with 6oz hops) and a heffe. Shipping was free since my order was over $59.00. For the IPA I got a dry yeast, and I will buy the White Labs Liquid Heffe yeast at my LHBS. BTW, I met Chris White at my LHBS on Sunday, he was a real nice guy and of course has a wealth of information.

I plan to order a kit from AHS also - maybe tomorrow. I will post about my MoreBeer kit when it gets here.

YooperBrew said:

Midwest has lower base prices for many items, though - often when I compare between online stores, Midwest wins despite the much higher shipping cost.

Back