Rookie Mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWB1

Reaction score
I just finished my 3rd batch ...1 st was extract, last 2 were extract w/ specialty grains.

Trying to get the hang of steeping etc...to make the move to an AG recipe...anyway..I cooled my wort to about 85 degrees, added water up to 5 gallons temp dropped to 70 and took a OG reading.

Read @ 1.042 or so..recipe says OG between 1.045-1.049...did I add to much water or is it close enough ?

Next time should I stop short of 5 gallons...take a reading and adjust from there?

What are the consequences of to much water besides less ABV.

oh, by the way I was making a BB Witbier...and used WL WLP-400 . Really nice smell when it was cooking. My 3rd batch in 10 days, I'm hooked.

My wife said "find a hobby"...not sure she was ready for this LOL

Did make sure to calculate the difference of the hydrometer since there designed to read at 60 deg... Regardless your making brew asking as the end results in good beer who cares

only .003 points off. I wouldn't worry. I've had many brews that have been off by more than that but still turned out extremely well.

I'm no expert, but I would say your close enough. I've heard alot of people on here say that its very difficult to get an OG when brewing extracts.

Oh ****...I forgot !! temp= +.002 which would make it acceptable

That bit of info is why I will now go donate $$ and become a Premium member.

Thanks

Don't worry it'll all be fine. Too much water only dilutes the wort, worst case scenario you'll end up with a little lower ABV/body... I don't think you will notice the 0.003 points off. Well, I for sure would'nt.

If you stop short of 5 gal. and ajust, you will have a hard time getting to what you want and you'll have to stir a lot, especially since you use extracts. Don't worry too much about your O.G. Close enough is good enough. You will most likely brew excellent beer anyway.

Cheers !

Thanks for the help...a little nerve racking @ first but I'm getting it slowly but surely.

Back