Oatmeal stout no action +4 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
I brewed an all-grain chocolate oatmeal stout 7 days ago. I pitched heavy on the yeast (cultured a starter 4 days prior) and had great activity for the first 3 days. On day 5, I moved the batch to my secondary (bucket) and let it sit in my basement which is around 64-65 degrees F. I have not seen a trace of activity in my airlock since moving to the secondary. It's been down there for almost 3 full days.

Is there anything I should have accounted for when moving it to a cooler environment from where it was initially fermented? It was in my kitchen, at 71 degrees, for the primary. Did the yeast become accustomed to the warmer temps? OG was 1.060 and last reading was 1.020. Thanks.

It sounds fine....actually no actual fermentation in secondary is good. I would warm it back up just to be sure.

1.020 doesn't look to bad for FG, but did you rack to secondary before primary was done? Normally you'd take gravity readings over 3 days to make sure you're done before racking to secondary. However, secondary is somewhat old school. Today, most people skip secondary all together, and leave it in primary until bottle day.

There was absolutely zero activity after 36 hours of fermentation. I allowed it to remain in the primary an additional 2 days to ensure that it was complete. I have tried to make it a habit of moving the beer to a secondary...I feel it makes for a cleaner beer before bottling. Besides, I don't want to give the yeasties an opportunity to produce off flavors in the beer. Anyhow, I'm going to keep an eye on it for the next 2 weeks or so.

I ended up bottling yesterday and I took another gravity reading...it was 1.018. Bottling went smooth, everything looked and tasted on par. I did add a bit of cocoa powder to the brew prior to bottling. I don't think I'll do that again. It doesn't give the powder a chance to settle out before getting it into the bottles. Oh well, I think I can live with it. I'll throw something up here in a couple of weeks when it's (hopefully) done carbing.

Back