simple quick sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJstout

Reaction score
Will this work for a simple, quick, basic sour cherry ale?

6pounds vienna
5pounds wheat
4oz acid malt

1oz mt hood @ fwh

us05 yeast

start mash at 152F, mash for 24hours.

sour cherrys after 10days added to primary

keg after 1 month

i haven't been able to get anything more than slightly tangy with sauermalz. i would add some dregs from a commercial sour and wait a little. if you want to get a lacto infection, search that- i think there are better ways than just letting the mash cool off for a day. how sour do you want it?

i haven't been able to get anything more than slightly tangy with sauermalz. i would add some dregs from a commercial sour and wait a little. if you want to get a lacto infection, search that- i think there are better ways than just letting the mash cool off for a day. how sour do you want it?
A 24hr mash will get it plenty tart. Might get some bad aroma in there as well, but if the OP is looking for a fast sour that's probably the fastest (aside from just adding lactic acid, which usually doesn't taste all that good).

if you let the mash cool for 24 hours, your chances of getting off aromas from clostridium are much higher, then if you do a mini mash lacto starter and keep it at 110 for a day or two. I just haven't been thrilled with the results i have had- but my idea of sour might be different than yours, i like low threes high twos. Mine have been better when i've added the lacto post boil, rather than souring the mash pre- boil.

Back