Single tier build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finch138

Reaction score
So I'm gonna tackle building a single tier Brutus type system. I will be learning how to weld in this project and need your advise as to what type of metal to use I.e. Advantages/disadvantages. Tips on everything from cutting the metal to where to mount my pump. I was also wondering if anyone had experience with these burners Natural Gas Jet Burners, 10 Jet Natural Gas Jet Burner 618NG thanks in advance.

I have experience with those burners and if you take a peek at my website, you'll see my advice is based on experience.

If you are a first time welder (assuming mig) use thicker material (1/8") and practice on scrap.
The stand will be too heavy but you won't poke as many holes in the metal from inexperience. There are some good YouTube videos on welding.

A metal chop saw will be all you need for cutting.
As for metal selection, go with rectangular mild steel tube 1" x 2" x 1/8". 2' x 2" is way overkill and adds weight without strength.

Take a look at how we mount our pumps, simple yet elegant.
You will need a 4-1/2" angle grinder, and a flex disc and many lots and lots of sanding discs. Harbor Freight is your best bet for consumables (NOT welding wire).

Do NOT use the frame as a gas manifold, this is not safe!

Look at lots of photos and draw lots of sketches. Think about where everything will sit and where all the fluids flow.
Good Luck!!
Oh, you better post photos.

Cheers!

I couldn't find any info on your sight on those burners. Where should I look? Won't get to practice welding till the weekend so I stated polishing my kegs via bobbys instructions instead. Just got done with the #2 polishing stick and It's already almost a mirror :ban: I'll post some pics if I can find the cord to my camera.

Here is a stand with those burners (you can't see them).
The experience I was referring to wasn't communicated well (my bad) was in regard to building stands in general.
I have have used those burners on my own system burning NG.

Just ordered the back issue of BYO with Lonnie Mac's instructions and will PM him for any tips. Won't be doing an exact clone but hope the instructions will steer me in the right direction. There seems to be a lot of people using banjo burners from the same company. I like the small footprint of the 10 tip burners (not to mention the lower price), but would like to get some feedback on their performance :confused: . Help is much appreciated. Btw my vessels are keggles.

Would 1.5 square tubing be as good as 1x2? Why not build the gas beam?

1.5 would be fine.
Steel tubing is not design to hold gas and unless the fittings are tig welded on, there is no guarantee they will be leak. Better safe than sorry.
We won't build them for customers due to the liability issue.
A gas manifold can be mounted several different ways and will be much easier to do then welding fittings on.

I'm assuming you mean a gas manifold with valves and hoses? We can supply any parts you need.
Email us at [email protected] with your wish list.
And yes, we are working on a shopping cart.

Back