1 PID for 2 110v elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_tripp

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
your links don't work, but the answer is that you can probably do it.

One PID should be able to drive two SSRs, so you can have one element through one SSR and the other element through the other SSR, and that one PID firing both of them in unison.

Yes you can do it. I have 2 20amp ssrs one for a 2000w element, and the other for a 1500 w element. Each ssr is fed from a different outlet on two separate circuits. To control the ssrs they are wired in series from the control circuit on the PID. Its been a while since I've looked, but m fairly sure that the control circuit on an Auber PID is enough to control several ssrs.

Yes you can do it. I have 2 20amp ssrs one for a 2000w element, and the other for a 1500 w element. Each ssr is fed from a different outlet on two separate circuits. To control the ssrs they are wired in series from the control circuit on the PID. Its been a while since I've looked, but m fairly sure that the control circuit on an Auber PID is enough to control several ssrs.

Interesting... I would have wired them in parallel and not even thought about it, but wiring them in series would probably work fine. There is plenty of voltage drop across the control signals of the average PID to switch two of your average SSRs in series.

I think most PIDs put out appx 12VDC and most SSRs need a minimum of 3VDC to switch.

It's just a matter of current pulled from the PID at that point.

Walker said:
Interesting... I would have wired them in parallel and not even thought about it, but wiring them in series would probably work fine. There is plenty of voltage drop across the control signals of the average PID to switch two of your average SSRs in series.

I think most PIDs put out appx 12VDC and most SSRs need a minimum of 3VDC to switch.

It's just a matter of current pulled from the PID at that point.

Meant to say parallel, yeah didn't try them in series, parallel works great.

that's the exact same PID that I use. It works fine for maintaining a temp, but if you plan on boiling with electric, that PID will not allow you to control the strength of the boil.

Back