How to use oxygen to aerate wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's what I get for posting in a hurry! You definitely get some yeast reproduction in the wort, but the yeast should be built up and ready to go before it's pitched. In other words, you don't want the entire reproductive phase to take place in the wort. It's especially important in the case of liquid yeasts which need to be roused out of a deep sleep (I don't know the proper term). Not only is it not ready for fermentation, it's not ready yet to reproduce. So you don't want to just pitch a vial or smack pack and hit it with oxygen.

As far as over-aeration, I really don't know the how or why. I'm just repeating what I'm reading about it. Check out the link from my previous post.

Funny. We were both saying the same thing. But in different ways. :mug:

OK, so here's the results of my experiment. Last Friday I brewed the Stone Levitation clone that was featured on Jamil's show (5gal.). My OG was 1.054 and the only aeration it got was falling out of the end of the tubing from my counterflow chiller which was placed at the mouth of my fermenter, and then whatever it may have gotten from carrying it down the basement stairs. I pitched one package of US-05 which I rehydrated at 90 deg. per Eric Watson's instructions. My original plan was to pitch 2 packs, but I wanted to see how quickly it would take off. When I checked it next morning, there wasn't a lot of activity, so I got nervous and went ahead and pitched the other pack without rehydration. A nice krauesen appeared later that day.

The fermentation was nice and steady with a small amount of blowoff from my 6.5 Better Bottle. Most of the bubbling had stopped by Tuesday night. I checked the SG tonight and it was 1.013 which is right in the expected 3.2 to 3.3 Plato range which was expected. The hydrometer sample tasted as good as could be expected.

I wonder what would have been the result if I had only pitched the one yeast pack? Will the beer lack that certain something that Jamil says will it will when there's not enough reproduction in the wort?

I do know one thing. I've had beers that I aerated normally that didn't ferment out as trouble-free as this one. Now, what does it all mean???!!!!

Minky said:
OK, so here's the results of my experiment. Last Friday I brewed the Stone Levitation clone that was featured on Jamil's show (5gal.). My OG was 1.054 and the only aeration it got was falling out of the end of the tubing from my counterflow chiller which was placed at the mouth of my fermenter, and then whatever it may have gotten from carrying it down the basement stairs. I pitched one package of US-05 which I rehydrated at 90 deg. per Eric Watson's instructions. My original plan was to pitch 2 packs, but I wanted to see how quickly it would take off. When I checked it next morning, there wasn't a lot of activity, so I got nervous and went ahead and pitched the other pack without rehydration. A nice krauesen appeared later that day.

The fermentation was nice and steady with a small amount of blowoff from my 6.5 Better Bottle. Most of the bubbling had stopped by Tuesday night. I checked the SG tonight and it was 1.013 which is right in the expected 3.2 to 3.3 Plato range which was expected. The hydrometer sample tasted as good as could be expected.

I wonder what would have been the result if I had only pitched the one yeast pack? Will the beer lack that certain something that Jamil says will it will when there's not enough reproduction in the wort?

I do know one thing. I've had beers that I aerated normally that didn't ferment out as trouble-free as this one. Now, what does it all mean???!!!!

In reality to properly conduct this experiment you actually need to brew 2identical beers and properly aerate and pitch one and do the experiment on the other. You need a control batch basically. Then when you taste the final product side by side you have comparison between the two.

In reality to properly conduct this experiment you actually need to brew 2identical beers and properly aerate and pitch one and do the experiment on the other. You need a control batch basically. Then when you taste the final product side by side you have comparison between the two.

Yeah, what you said. D'oh !! I was so preoccupied with whether or not I would get a decent fermentation that I wasn't even thinking about the taste.

Dry yeast comes oxygenated. And US-05 would have very little flavor additions from underpitching or starving the oxygen anyways.

pabloj13 said:
Yes, childish. We can debate all day long about this, there's zero need to get personal.

When did I get personal?

Moderator Edit: When you called another member an arrogant freak and shared a link to mental retardation that you said reminded you of the same member. This is over the line, and it happened after another moderator had already warned you. If you do not take mod warnings seriously you will be taking a vacation from HBT

Heard an interesting discussion on brew strong recently (older recording) - they were saying the oxygen transfer happen at the surface of the wort when you bubble oxygen. The small bubbles pull more poorly oxygenated wort at the bottom of the fermenter up to the top where O2 exchange can occur. I may have missed a few points, but I thought that was pretty interesting.

Back