Berliner Weisse ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLM

Reaction score
I am going to make a Berliner Weisse type beer with
WLP630 Berliner Weisse Blend yeast I know I am going to use a bucket and never use it but for another sour beer but what about a secondary since I would like it to age for 4-6 months so will it affect the glass carboy as well?
also if I wait so long will the yeast still be good to carb up the bottles as I dont want to add dry yeast since it will alter the beer

Why not get a 6.5 gallon glass carboy to primary it in? If you already have a 5 gallon glass, you'll be fine to use that as a bright tank or secondary if you end up adding more yeast/fermentables.

Glass will be fine as long as it's smooth there aren't bubbles/air pockets on the inside.

I have a 6 1/2 gal carboy but it has EdWort's Apfelwein in it and I am not bottleing it anytime soon so I will just use one of my 5 gal ones for a secondary

Why not just bottle it after fermentation, its a small beer it will be done fermenting in a few days but the sour character will still continue developing...from my research it will sour faster if bottled immediately. If you do decide to let it sit in the carboy it will not ruin the carboy. If you let it go 4-6 months you will want to re-yeast. Just use a clean yeast and you won't change the beers character.

I can't speak to much to your question re: the safety of using a glass carboy that once housed souring bugs as I have separate equipment. however, as someone who had a BW in a secondary for 7 months, I can assure you that I needed no extra yeast for bottling. on top of that, in my experience, I had no problem achieving fairly extreme tartness, ( though I also pitched the dregs of two Orval bottles as well),. I would however recommend giving the bottled BW a couple of weeks to mature at higher than average temps, at least 60f.

I want to use a secondary thats what I do with all my beers so I will do that and then maybe I will let it sit in the carboy for 3-4 months so it has a good chance to carb with no added yeast

I can't speak to much to your question re: the safety of using a glass carboy that once housed souring bugs as I have separate equipment. however, as someone who had a BW in a secondary for 7 months, I can assure you that I needed no extra yeast for bottling. on top of that, in my experience, I had no problem achieving fairly extreme tartness, ( though I also pitched the dregs of two Orval bottles as well),. I would however recommend giving the bottled BW a couple of weeks to mature at higher than average temps, at least 60f.

If you add brett you won't have any problems with carbing as they will keep alive by consuming the dead sacc yeast and then when they hit the bottle they will be alive and well to carb the beer. However, you might get a little different story with a sacc only BW. Brett is a funny creature, you can add it and get a hint of funk and that is great or you can get acetic acid production too and a BW should not have acetic acid in it, it is all about the lactic acid.

Since the focus is on the lactic acid I would bottle condition warm, like in the mid 80's to let the lacto go to work.

I want to use a secondary thats what I do with all my beers so I will do that and then maybe I will let it sit in the carboy for 3-4 months so it has a good chance to carb with no added yeast

Any reason for this or just habit?

Any reason for this or just habit?

habit and thats what I have allways done with all of my beers as in use a secondary
big beers like barleywines I like to age but I have read with BW.s it would be good to age for some time

ETA I am just going to use the WLP630 yeast

I can't speak to the blend, but I know if you do a separate pitch of lacto and sacc in a controlled manner you can be in the bottle in a week.

I was speaking more to BenSiffs notion that it is all about the lactic acid. How is it that we can be so sure of this? If the lacto is historically accurate, would it not stand to reason that there very well could have been a brett presence to some degree or another in some of the many examples of the style from those times? Was it even possible for pre-industrial age brewers to isolate and maintain separate, individual cultures of sacc yeast/ lactic bacteria and or brett.... or any microscopic organisms for that matter? If beers of those days were more "wild" in general, I'm still at a loss as to how some brews wound up more dominant in any one particular fermenting microbe over any another. Where did the sourness historically originate from in a BW? Was it due to more of an open style fermentation or a yeast culture that was shared amongst brewers of the style? If I had to guess I'd say that much like Saisons there was probably no single standard and that different breweries had different takes on the style and that some may have been more tart and some may have been more funky and that some laid somewhere at all points in between.

But yes, I agree, as far as most are concerned as of these days, BW is heavily lactic.

However, the one I made does not at all suffer from the brett presence. It is still quite tart and refreshing.

anyone wash and save the yeast from a BW?
I was thinking on doing it with this yeast

I was speaking more to BenSiffs notion that it is all about the lactic acid. How is it that we can be so sure of this? If the lacto is historically accurate, would it not stand to reason that there very well could have been a brett presence to some degree or another in some of the many examples of the style from those times? Was it even possible for pre-industrial age brewers to isolate and maintain separate, individual cultures of sacc yeast/ lactic bacteria and or brett.... or any microscopic organisms for that matter? If beers of those days were more "wild" in general, I'm still at a loss as to how some brews wound up more dominant in any one particular fermenting microbe over any another. Where did the sourness historically originate from in a BW? Was it due to more of an open style fermentation or a yeast culture that was shared amongst brewers of the style? If I had to guess I'd say that much like Saisons there was probably no single standard and that different breweries had different takes on the style and that some may have been more tart and some may have been more funky and that some laid somewhere at all points in between.

But yes, I agree, as far as most are concerned as of these days, BW is heavily lactic.

However, the one I made does not at all suffer from the brett presence. It is still quite tart and refreshing.

Very good thoughts for sure. However, I was speaking to BW's of today where you should only have lactic acid. Brett, if present, should be mild and not adding to the acid.

Very good thoughts for sure. However, I was speaking to BW's of today where you should only have lactic acid. Brett, if present, should be mild and not adding to the acid.

Fair enough.... but I think that is only or mostly for those who are seeking to appease BJCP guidelines. Hell, I can only ever find one, maybe two actual German BW's here in Philly, and we have access to an amazing array of beers here. So I'm not that sure I can confidently assess the style based on a mere two examples. Even when I've been in Germany and Berlin specifically, I could only really find Berliner Kindl and that wasn't even all that great. I think it'd be more appropriate to do research into the history of the brew than to try to approximate some sort of take on a non-historical version of it. However, this is just the opinion of one person so take it for what that's worth. I mean hell, I aged my BW on 5pounds of frozen Golden Raspberries from my garden, pitched the dregs of two Orval bottles and it still wound up tasting nearly identical to the Fritz Briem 1809, if not better in my opinion.

I would really love to try the Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof's Brett L Berliner. Sounds deeeeeelightful.

anyone wash and save the yeast from a BW?
I was thinking on doing it with this yeast

No, but, I can tell you that I've used the dregs from my BW's to get a very viral sourdough starter going.

You might want to ask user Oldsock. His site has a lot of useful info on that sort of thing.

Fair enough.... but I think that is only or mostly for those who are seeking to appease BJCP guidelines. Hell, I can only ever find one, maybe two actual German BW's here in Philly, and we have access to an amazing array of beers here. So I'm not that sure I can confidently assess the style based on a mere two examples. Even when I've been in Germany and Berlin specifically, I could only really find Berliner Kindl and that wasn't even all that great. I think it'd be more appropriate to do research into the history of the brew than to try to approximate some sort of take on a non-historical version of it. However, this is just the opinion of one person so take it for what that's worth. I mean hell, I aged my BW on 5pounds of frozen Golden Raspberries from my garden, pitched the dregs of two Orval bottles and it still wound up tasting nearly identical to the Fritz Briem 1809, if not better in my opinion.

I would really love to try the Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof's Brett L Berliner. Sounds deeeeeelightful.

I have the same problem in the greater Seattle area, not a lot of selection. However, I will defer to experts such as Kristen England when it comes to the details of the style. But, there is nothing wrong with researching a styles history to learn. I'm not a huge fan of the acetic acid character so I agree with the guidelines on that issue. On my current batch I'm going to bottle 5 gallons straight and then add Avery 15 dregs to the other 5 gallons at bottling. This should keep the acetic character down and give a subtle hint of the funk so I can compare side by side with/without brett to see what I prefer.

Back