Possible infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
Hello guys

Quick question to all the pros in here, I've been brewing for 2 years but i only have maybe 6 beers under my belt. I stopped brewing while i was finishing my basesment which it took a whole year. Now i am back!! so i made my first beer since i stopped on Sunday (Old Blonde Ale) my own recepi i made up in beersmith software.

According to beersmith my final gravaty should be 1.014 but so far its been 4 days and i am below at 1.012, also it was bubbling from Monday thru all day Tuesday then it stopped on Tuesday night. It then started again on Wednesday afternoon thru the night, then it stopped this morming and i just got home and i saw it began again. Could this be a sign of infection the fact that it keeps starting and stopping and also i am below the final gravity already and it continues to ferment?

Relax. Sunday - Thursday is not a lot of time. The beer smith final gravity is just an estimate. Let it finish bubbling, leave it be, and wait to make any judgment about infection until the beer is finished and you taste it.

All the stopping and starting could be from tempature swings...from your description, activity seems to take off during the day and slow/stop at night. Try to keep the tempature as stable as possible. Sounds like things are moving along nicely. I wouldn't worry :mug:

Keep us posted

Yep, when the temp picks up your beer will release some CO2 from in solution. You want to keep your temps pretty constant, I try to ferment most everything at around 63F then ramp up my temps after around 5 days to finish everything off.

Latest posts

Back