Easiest beer I have ever made recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick the name of this brew

• Easily Amused

• Easy squeeze, lemon peazy

• Easy Rider

• Name your own brew, loser

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anyone make this with all DME? What kind and how much would you use, and would the end product taste about the same?

I subbed DME the first time I made this. If my notes here are correct, I used 2.64lbs of DME.

1lb grain = 0.75 LME = 0.6 DME

Please redo the math, I'm not sure if my notes are entirely accurate as they're over a year old!

I subbed DME the first time I made this. If my notes here are correct, I used 2.64lbs of DME.

1lb grain = 0.75 LME = 0.6 DME

Please redo the math, I'm not sure if my notes are entirely accurate as they're over a year old!

Doing the math now. I believe I used 2.64lbs of the equivilant DME for each of the 3.3lbs of syrup.

so:

2.64lbs extra light DME
3.64lbs wheat DME
0.25lbs carapils
0.25lbs crystal 20
2 oz saaz hops
safale 05
1 tbsp irish moss
1 oz coriander
orange zest

Hey guys,

I made this brew about 2 months ago and LOVE it. Followed the recipe exactly except used sweet dried orange vs. bitter. The beer has a great orange scent but the orangge flavor doesn't overpower at all.

The beer was in primary for two weeks, in bottles for two before my first taste. Was good then but has gotten better with time.

I may not have cracked the corriander enough . . . I'm not picking it up at all. But, nonetheless, this is a great beer! Even the wife, a Bud Lite drinker, will drink this one.

-Adam

I'm not sure how you can get any easier than the "Easiest beer I have ever made"! In all seriousness, most extract kits are about the same level of difficulty. The only thing that really varies is if there are steeping grains or not. However, I don't think a recipe with steeping grains would be too hard to be your first batch at all. So, in essence: Brew this!

You can certainly use whatever yeast you want to, but changing yeast will change the beer. I have never used saison yeast myself but Saison is a style of beer with a lot of esther (fruity/spicy/funky) flavors going on from the strain of yeast and the high fermentation temperature. So, yes you can brew this with Saison yeast at 90 degrees but the beer will be VERY different than if you brewed it with S-05 or WYeast 1056 and fermented it at 68f.

I would seriously look at making a "swamp cooler" for your fermentation, unless you really want to brew a Belgian Saison style. You can get a big rubbermaid crate, fill it with water, stick the fermentation bucket in it, add some frozen water bottles and keep your temps under 70 degrees i'm sure. No need for a chest freezer yet. You can also look into building a "Son of a fermentation" chamber, but a swamp cooler is the most basic/cheapest you just have to watch it and keep adding ice/frozen water bottles to keep the temp down.

You can even make the swamp cooler a little more efficient by putting a tshift on the bucket/carboy to wick up the water and point a fan at it. The evaporating water will help cool the beer even more. This is probably more effective with a carboy just because the shirt will fit it better but the principle is the same for a bucket too.

Hello, I just brewed my first beer ever after I asked that question, It was an Irish Red Ale kit, and I did get to steep some grains, was very easy to cook, its in the fermenter now.

I just placed an order for my 2nd kit (cream stout) to use up my $25.00 coupon at midwest, and at the same time I ordered all the ingredients for this amber/wheat, Im not going to mess this beer up experimenting on it, way to expensive for for that ( almost $50.00 ) I still want to try a saison but ill find something else to experiment on.

First batch is fermenting in a tub with water and Im using 32oz frozen bottles to keep temps down, Im rotating them out, its working like a charm.
Already looking for a freezer to do a conversion on, also looking at kegging too, Dang it, Im hooked lol

Im going to have to do something soon, its in the low 80s here already, 120 to 125 is common in summer here.

Thanks
WileECoyote

Hello, Im going to brew this beer this friday, after bottling the first beer I ever made, a Irish Red Ale, this friday will be my 3rd brewing attempt, Im feeling good about it, after my second batch went off without a hitch, a Cream Stout with some additions.

Thanks for sharing this recipe NTOLERANCE

Thanks
WiliECoyote

When I made this one I did it with a Heff yeast and S05, the S05 was my personal favorite but both received great reviews from friends and family. The 10 gallons didn't last long!:mug:

One week in primary is done, transferred to secondary yesterday, one more week and I will be bottling.

Hydrometer sample had a extremely good taste.

How is it that this beer can be good after only one week and others have to age so much longer?

Thanks
WiliECoyote

One week in primary is done, transferred to secondary yesterday, one more week and I will be bottling.

Hydrometer sample had a extremely good taste.

How is it that this beer can be good after only one week and others have to age so much longer?

Thanks
WiliECoyote

Depends on the recipe, really. But weather all grain or extract, some brews are ready faster. I think its more a yeast thing. S05 is ready right after fermentation is done.

I'm brewing this today all-grain. Since the AG version comes out quite a bit lighter in color I beefed it up with 6oz. of special B and 6oz. Carafa II, which should also add a little depth to the flavor without abridging the drinkability.

I'll post again in a month with taste results!

nickharbour said:
I'm brewing this today all-grain. Since the AG version comes out quite a bit lighter in color I beefed it up with 6oz. of special B and 6oz. Carafa II, which should also add a little depth to the flavor without abridging the drinkability.

I'll post again in a month with taste results!

How did this turn out? This is one of the first beers I made, but I've recently got not AG and would like to find a way to replicate this.

anyone else have trouble getting the temp down to pitching temp on this? After adding the RO water as mentioned temp was only at 110. No Wort Chiller available so I spent some time trying to get it cooled in an icebath after already 5 gal in fermenter. my RO water was chilled for 36 hours but apparently not cold enough.. ended up pitching at about 82 degrees and putting in basement with some icepacks around it...

This recipe caught my eye, and after reading it, along with many of the favorable posts that followed, I couldn't sleep waiting to brew a batch! Well all ingredients have been purchased... this Saturday has been set aside as a brew day!

NTOLERANCE, it sure appears you have a real winner here... very popular with the crowd. I cant wait to finish this up and give it try, or two, or three, or...

Brew On!!!

I must tip my hat to you. Yes this is a rather simple recipe, but man is it tasty! I changed the hop additions a bit to suit my palate. I used Saaz, but added them as follows: added 1.0 oz @ 60 minutes; 1.5 oz @ 20 minutes, and 0.5 oz at 10 minutes. The beer is still smooth and easy drinking, but has a bit more of a hop profile in the taste.

I love the way the flavorings come through, especially the orange peel. I bottled this batch and primed it with about 3.86 oz of corn sugar, which gave it a perfect level of carbonation... exceptional head formation and retention!

The only thing I would change, is I'd rack to a secondary for another week to allow for a bit of clarification. Even with the Irish Moss addition, the beer remains a little more cloudy than I would like.

Nothing left to say but, thanks!

Back