Lager Starter idea.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert1097

Reaction score
I've made two lagers so far with good results. Of course one of the fun things about this hobby is to try to get better results :cross:

Mr Malty recommends a 5500mL starter for my next lager. I'm lucky enough to have two stir plates (one performs better than the other) and two Erlenmeyer flasks which are 2L each. Neither stir plate performs very well when the whole starter is >1500mL.

My idea would be to make a normal starter of 1500mL and let it ferment out. Turn off the stirring and let the yeast floc.

Make another 1500mL starter in the other flask. Decant the 1st starter and add the new starter to the 1st flask (the one w/ the yeast in it). This should bring the volume to approximately 1800mL I'm guessing.

Clean the 2nd flask (the one I just dumped into the yeasty flask) and make a new starter, this one ~1200mL. Stir up the yeasty starter and divide the volumes and put both on stir plates.....pitch into the next lager.

Thoughts?

That's how I do mine. As long as you're saving the yeast, you'll be set. Try refrigerating it for 24 hours prior to every decant and you'll save more yeast.

Back