Want to brew tomorrow, no starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ketchepillar

Reaction score
So I want to brew tomorrow, but have no yeast. So if I pick up a vial/pack tomorrow and mix up a little starter and throw it on the stirplate just before brewing, 5-6 hours later come pitching time how will I be doing on cell count? Pretty close to proper pitching rates for a 1.045 ale?

I never make a starter and haven't had any problem with any of my 12 batches, some as high as 1.080. Starters are recommended but you will be fine without one, especially on a 1.045 brew. I've used vials, smack packs and dry yeast all successfully without starters. hope this helps

I never make a starter and haven't had any problem with any of my 12 batches, some as high as 1.080. Starters are recommended but you will be fine without one, especially on a 1.045 brew. I've used vials, smack packs and dry yeast all successfully without starters. hope this helps

Do you aerate your wort before pitching? It sure helps... especially if you are not using a starter.

somewhat, I do about a 5 minute slosh before pitching, also I use a hard pour through a strainer and funnel which creates a decent splash. Its been good enough for all my brews so far. Beers over 1.070 from now on I am planning to use a starter, its a little more crucial on the bigger beers even though I have got away without it so far.

somewhat, I do about a 5 minute slosh before pitching, also I use a hard pour through a strainer and funnel which creates a decent splash. Its been good enough for all my brews so far. Beers over 1.070 from now on I am planning to use a starter, its a little more crucial on the bigger beers even though I have got away without it so far.

I'm lazy... I use an aeration stone. The only issue is keeping it sanitized.

mrmalty.com says you need 1.6 vials for a proper pitch rate. Even if the starter doesn't get you there in 5 to 6 hours, it will definately give the yeast a nice head start, so it's well worth it.

mrmalty.com says you need 1.6 vials for a proper pitch rate. Even if the starter doesn't get you there in 5 to 6 hours, it will definately give the yeast a nice head start, so it's well worth it.

Yes...It's bettrer to start a starter than not. THough if you can do it tonight for tomorrow, all the better. You may even luck out and be able to pitch at high krauzen for the starter. I Pitched a starter at high krausen yeasterday that basically spent 27 hours as a starter, and it had krausen on it at pitching time. Woke up this morning approxiamtely 15 hours after pitching to a nice healty krausen in my fermenter.

Yea I made a starter about 12 hours before pitching yesterday and I have activity this morning. For desperate times I have pitched 2 containers of washed yeast with good results.

Latest posts

Back