Wheat Beer Gone Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfista

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to post, but I figured I'd try.

I brewed a few batches of wheat beer over the summer. By the time we were consuming the last few bottles, they started to taste more like a sour ale. This change happened rather rapidly and was the first batch I've ever noticed contamination (I've done about 15 batches). I suspect they obtained a contamination of some sort. However, they remind me somewhat of the Great Lakes Grassroots Ale.

In a batch I recently made, I know I made a sanitation mistake and the result was more immediate - the beers are sour, but not entirely undrinkable.

The recipe was a clone of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. Is there something about wheat that goes sour more easily? Is there any issue with someone who enjoys sour ales drinking a couple of these?

Thanks,

Jason

The bacteria that typically sours beer isn't a health problem.

You might look into berry concentrates (or even jellies/jams) to improve the flavor. Blackberry in particular goes well in sour beers.

Latest posts

Back