adding raspberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubvortex

Reaction score
As I have posted before, For my first beer I am making a american wheat extract. Its going into secondary after 1 week and I would like to ad some raspberries to it once its in there. How would I go about doing that?

Would it be alright to buy a pack or two of fresh frozen raspberries from wal mart and just thaw them and dump em in there?

Oh, and how much should I ad? I dont want the raspberry taste to be overwhelming.

Alright, I just searched and found that requiem raspberry recipe, and it looks like thats what he does:).

Next time I'll search before posting:drunk:

I use three 12-ounce packages of frozen red raspberries.
I puree the berries in the blender, then heat to 160F for 15 minutes to pasteurize.
I add them to the primary, because it's easier to clean.

If you're going to add the raspberries to your primary, I would advise against adding them before or during primary fermentation. Do it once primary is complete. This provides two advantages. Firstly, any bacteria you miss in the pasteurization will tend to thrive moreso in a high-sugar, low-alcohol environment, as opposed to a low-sugar, high-alcohol environment. Secondly, the CO2 created during primary is going to wash your berries of a lot of the raspberry aroma you want.

I say this with humility, because I have never brewed a fruit beer before. I'm just repeating what I heard on the TBN's The Jamil Show Episode on Fruit Beer.

2# of raspberries for a 5gal batch is a good number. Add them to your carboy, then rack your beer on top of them. No need to pasturize or puree... within a week they will turn white and sink to the bottom.

I would try to get fresh. if you want to get frozen, make sure you check the additives.... I bought fresh, froze them overnight, then racked, and let it sit a week before kegging.

This is my Requiem Raspberry after 36hours on the berries.
Media_CardBlackBerrypicturesIMG00029.jpg

Or go the easy way and get a can of Oregon Pure Raspberrry Puree and just dump it in your secondary and rack the beer ontop of it.

Latest posts

Back