Blueberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBlick

Reaction score
I just received another 3 gallon carboy and I'm thinking about making a blueberry wine in it in the next couple days. The recipe is based on Tusch's Blueberry Cider (which looked great) with some changes.

2 lbs frozen blueberries
1 cup raisins
1 lb dextrose
42 ounce bottle of fresh blueberry juice
1 cup strong black tea
Fill to top with apple juice
1 pkt 1118 yeast

I'm shooting for a 1.08 OG so if I'm not quite there I'll probably add a bit more dextrose.

After primary I'll do a taste and decide whether it needs more blueberries or not in secondary.

Here's my questions: I've never used frozen fruit before in a wine. I've only used concentrates and juice. Do I need to worry about introducing bacteria when I use frozen blueberries? Do I need to use 3 campdens and let it sit a day before pitching the yeast (the juice is pasteurized)? Also can I just pour the blueberries directly into my primary or should I put them in a straining bag (I'd rather just pour them in)? Are there any blatant flaws with the recipe? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Ed: Oops, I meant to put this in the regular wine forum...Sorry!

Has anyone posted on this? I just tried to ask mike via PM but apparently his mailbox is full... Gotta read your mail there mike. ;-)

Back