Fermentation temps over the duration of fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvcjbl

Reaction score
Should they remain the same or should I increase them?

The reason why I ask is, this current brew was put into primary on Friday early morning (around 2am) and had a vigorous fermentation for the last couple days but seems to be slowing down (a tad). During the high fermentation activity the chiller fluctuated between 61-65'f for an average of about 63.5'f. Tonight I come home to see is cycling between 59-62.7'f. For a few degree cooler average. Should I bump the temps up or am I/is it ok? Mind you the temperature I am quoting is from a thermometer affixed to the carboy itself... not ambient.

Incase anyone needs to know. OG was 1.103 and I pitched Safale US-05 with a 2L starter. Pitched at 70'f

With a beer that hefty, the yeast really need all the help they can get to finish it off well. I would bump the temp a bit if you can. Remember, they often have to use champagne yeast to fully attenuate barleywines in spite of best efforts; fermenting really heavy beers is tough on ale yeast.

With a beer that hefty, the yeast really need all the help they can get to finish it off well. I would bump the temp a bit if you can. Remember, they often have to use champagne yeast to fully attenuate barleywines in spite of best efforts; fermenting really heavy beers is tough on ale yeast.

Yeah that is why I double pitched two packs of US-05 in a 2L starter that I prepped a few days in advance. The last beer I did was ruined with esters from too high of a fermentation temp (prior to have a chiller) and I am a bit gun shy about temps.

Most of the yeast flavors in the beer are made during the first, vigorous parts of fermentation. Raising the temp later on has much less of an impact than having high temps early on. Also, a lot of off-flavors can be created by underpitching; not sure if you made a starter in your last beer, but that could be a source of off-flavors too. Sounds like you pitched well this time at any rate, so no problem there.

Also, by your report, the temperature has dropped somewhat. You were already on the low end for an ale fermentation; I would at least maintain low to mid 60's temps. Maybe bump to high 60's to low 70's when fermentation really slows down.

Most of the yeast flavors in the beer are made during the first, vigorous parts of fermentation. Raising the temp later on has much less of an impact than having high temps early on. Also, a lot of off-flavors can be created by underpitching; not sure if you made a starter in your last beer, but that could be a source of off-flavors too. Sounds like you pitched well this time at any rate, so no problem there.

Also, by your report, the temperature has dropped somewhat. You were already on the low end for an ale fermentation; I would at least maintain low to mid 60's temps. Maybe bump to high 60's to low 70's when fermentation really slows down.

I didn't make a starter the first time and just simply pitched the vial into the carboy (my first brew). I had the ambient temp set initially to obtain the 61-64'f fermentation temperatures. When the fermenting really took off I bumped it down to 58'f ambient to obtain what I said I was getting with the OP. Last evening I bumped the ambient up to 60'f again but fermentation has slowed so now the temps are swinging between 59-62'f on the carboy. I think I will check it when I get home since my thermometer logs highs and lows and see if I can get the range to the mid 60's and run with that. The krausen was so thick and so high it went all the way to the top and has fallen for sure but I can't tell because it has left a "shell" of gunk on the upper portion of the carboy.

I find it easier to just maintain the same the whole time instead of jumping around. Whether or not the temp after the initial phase matters or not. I think it may be a cleaner, better beer with less off flavors if kept the same the whole time.

At pitching have it at your set temp, and just keep it there for the 3 to 4 weeks it's going to stay. I just use a swamp cooler and without too much work can keep mid 60's the whole time.

Alright. If you keep it in the mid 60's you'll be just fine. I'm just nervous about lack of attenuation if you have the ambient too low when fermentation slows down. But you sound pretty on top of it.

joeunc: that may be true sometimes. But some beers/yeasts really drive internal temps up regardless of ambient temps, and if you don't want lots of esters - as you probably don't if you're using US-05 - it can be important to reign them in during peak fermentation. That's what the OP did. And now I'm recommending brining them back up again to get proper attenuation, so the yeast doesn't just crash out instead of finishing it's job.

Alright. If you keep it in the mid 60's you'll be just fine. I'm just nervous about lack of attenuation if you have the ambient too low when fermentation slows down. But you sound pretty on top of it.

joeunc: that may be true sometimes. But some beers/yeasts really drive internal temps up regardless of ambient temps, and if you don't want lots of esters - as you probably don't if you're using US-05 - it can be important to reign them in during peak fermentation. That's what the OP did. And now I'm recommending brining them back up again to get proper attenuation, so the yeast doesn't just crash out instead of finishing it's job.

Thanks again Skyforger!! Here is a quick snapshot of where the stick on fermometer is telling me as far as temp in the fermentation chiller.

168078_1537335720910_1460380874_1168492_6641580_n.jpg

Recommendations?

I would bump up temps if I had the ability to, IMO 60 degrees is a bit on the cool side.

Typically I keep mine on the cool side, about 64-65 ambient, while vigorous, the sticky usually reads 68, may creep towards 70. Once the sticky drops to ambient I bring it up to 68 and maintain that for the duration.

I would bump up temps if I had the ability to, IMO 60 degrees is a bit on the cool side.

Typically I keep mine on the cool side, about 64-65 ambient, while vigorous, the sticky usually reads 68, may creep towards 70. Once the sticky drops to ambient I bring it up to 68 and maintain that for the duration.

It's at 63'f as in the picture. It is bubbling about once every 2 seconds where before it was bubbling like 4 times every <second.

It's at 63'f as in the picture. It is bubbling about once every 2 seconds where before it was bubbling like 4 times every <second.

Sorry, should have been a bit clearer, I just wouldn't let cool too much. If you have the ability to keep in the mid 60's go for it, you had stated the ambient was hitting low 60's, I wouldn't let the beer temp drop that much if I had tight control.

Sorry, should have been a bit clearer, I just wouldn't let cool too much. If you have the ability to keep in the mid 60's go for it, you had stated the ambient was hitting low 60's, I wouldn't let the beer temp drop that much if I had tight control.

I have complete control. It is in a Son of a smaller fermentation chiller. Ambient temperature is different from the actual beer temperature (you knew that). I have a thermostat to where I can set it to any temperature I desire. Right now it is set at 60'f (ambient) which is yielding about 63'f temperature of the carboy.

Upped the ambient temp to 63'f which should yield a range (carboy temp) of 62'f - 65'f instead of the current 59'f - 62'f.

Removed one of the two frozen 2L soda bottles this evening and the ferment is still sitting at 61.5'f. The brew is bubbling once every 6-7 seconds. I can't wait to take my first gravity reading so I can steal my first taste!!

Personally I gradually increase ferm temp on bigger beers to get a cleaner, more complete fermentation. Starting hot is bad, leads to lots of esters that can't be cleaned up. But finishing at the upper end of the scale helps keep the yeast active and allows them to clean up much more effectively. thats my $0.02.

Personally I gradually increase ferm temp on bigger beers to get a cleaner, more complete fermentation. Starting hot is bad, leads to lots of esters that can't be cleaned up. But finishing at the upper end of the scale helps keep the yeast active and allows them to clean up much more effectively. thats my $0.02.

This chiller is working "too well" as I have the fan off and only one bottle of half melted ice and it is constantly sitting at 61.5f. I think I might remove the lid for a while and see what it does.

The beer has been fermenting for about 6.5 days now. The bubbling is once every 8 seconds. I haven't taken a gravity reading yet since I typically like to wait until the airlock has zero activity so I can see where I am at (correct me if it really doesn't matter one waiting for no airlock activity really matters). I can remove this 6.5 gallon carboy out of the fermentation chiller and into my spare closet which has an ambient temperature of 65-70'f. Would I be running this risk of introducing esters by doing this or should I just leave in in the chiller which has the carboy sitting at 63'f (measured on fermometer)?

Thanks again Skyforger!! Here is a quick snapshot of where the stick on fermometer is telling me as far as temp in the fermentation chiller.

168078_1537335720910_1460380874_1168492_6641580_n.jpg

Recommendations?

Man that yeast is going bonkers!

To the question in the post above me. I would raise the temp a little at this time to help the yeast along. You shouldn't have to worry about introducing esters at this point in the game.

Man that yeast is going bonkers!

To the question in the post above me. I would raise the temp a little at this time to help the yeast along. You shouldn't have to worry about introducing esters at this point in the game.

Switched from a blow off tube/jug to a normal 3-piece airlock. While doing this I stole a sample to read the gravity and get a taste. Current gravity is 1.030 and smells/tastes AMAZING!!! Even SWMBO was like "holly crap babe that is awesome!" :rockin:

Here is a pic

167194_1540466559179_1460380874_1173133_4839151_n.jpg

Back