Cara Pils and Mini Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenwoodRover

me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just checked the wiki about cara pils and it says "Recomend Mash: NO"
I was going to do my first Partial Mash this weekend of recipe I tinkered with in Beer Smith to try and clone Sierra ESB (see this post for my first stab at a recipe):
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=62878
I have gotten used to steeping some Cara in my extract brew and was going to add a 1/2lb into my mini mash. I've always heard and used cara with extracts to help the head , but if I'm mini-mashing will I get decent head without it? Would I be better off just adding additional 2-row, otter, or crystal to get the grain bill to the needed poundage, or should I leave the cara in there?

I've had crazy heads whenever we've brewed with CaraPils. I wouldn't expect an IPA style head on an ESB so you should be OK without it. I'm not aware of any reason not to mash with it though.

My friends and I have an all grain IPA that we used Cara in secondary, so I'll tell you how it went mashing it in a couple weeks!

A half pound in my APA gave a little too much head, if that's possible. I used 4oz in the next one. I'll know in a couple weeks how much different it is.

Latest posts

Back