Step or Infusion for these grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
The recipe calls for a step mash. It's my first AG batch, and I'd like to know if I would be o.k. with an infusion mash. Here's the grain bill.

8lbs 2 row
1/2lb aromatic
1 1/2 lbs flaked corn

Thanks!!!!!

I wouldn't worry about a step mash with that bill. When I use flaked corn, I also don't mill it, although I've heard of brewers doing that. Personal preference I guess. An infusion batch would be easiest for your first AG batch.

I would have to disagree with the above post. IMHO when using adjuncts like corn, wheat, and rice, a step or cereal mash is best. Plus it looks like you are gong for a light, pale beer. A protien rest (30min at 122) a longer, low temp mash (90min at 148-152) and a mash out at 168 might get you what you are looking for.

YooperBrew said:
When I use flaked maize, I just do a regular infusion mash. My cream ale is mashed at 152 or so, and it works great. That recipe is about 10% corn.
I agree, flaked maize is great for a single infusion. My cream ale also uses 1 1/2lb flaked maize. The last one I brewed tasted great using a single infusion.

You won't need to do a protein rest unless you are using an undermodified grain. Almost all modern grains have had the protein content altered so that a protein rest is not needed. The one big exception is 6-row Lager malt. The higher protein content of 6-row benefits from the protein rest to reduce chill haze.

As has been mentioned above, flaked maize does not require a cereal mash and you can do a single infusion with those grains without a problem.

I would suggest doing an iodine test for conversion with that much corn in the mash though. It should all convert in an hour, but I would do one to be safe.

Back