Michigan Bells Homebrew Competition 2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn0522

Reaction score
If someone has already posted on this please let me know.

I have never been but planning on going this year. Has anyone been to this before? Any idea why they force you to use thier wort? Going to be interesting to figure out how to add specialty grains. May have to talk with some extract brewers on steeping grains and/or mini mashes.

Anyone else going?

https://www.bellsbeer.com/news-categories/homebrewing

I'd love to. Unfortunately I have plans to be in Chicago that day.

I've done this in the past. it's grown up a bit since the first 2 years. Back then you just showed up with a container and got your wort poured into it and then left (or stopped in to have a drink and something to eat if you were inclined...)

Looks like they have some other stuff going on lately. It's an EXPO of homebrewing.

Not sure exactly why they make you use their wort, but I guess it just provides an even starting point for everyone (Although you can add anything else you want to it.)

I should tell the rest of the guys in my club about it. Maybe someone can pick up some wort for me while I'm in Chicago. I have a sure-fire recipe for a Watermelon Onion Ale.

I'd love to. Unfortunately I have plans to be in Chicago that day.

I've done this in the past. it's grown up a bit since the first 2 years. Back then you just showed up with a container and got your wort poured into it and then left (or stopped in to have a drink and something to eat if you were inclined...)

Looks like they have some other stuff going on lately. It's an EXPO of homebrewing.

Not sure exactly why they make you use their wort, but I guess it just provides an even starting point for everyone (Although you can add anything else you want to it.)

I should tell the rest of the guys in my club about it. Maybe someone can pick up some wort for me while I'm in Chicago. I have a sure-fire recipe for a Watermelon Onion Ale.

How could a watermelon onion ale not win!!! Brilliant!

Not sure how you get to chicago but im in south bend. If you will be near me i can pick up for you.

I wonder if they give out the wort to keep it more local and to ensure its a quick turn around beer.

How could a watermelon onion ale not win!!! Brilliant!

Not sure how you get to chicago but im in south bend. If you will be near me i can pick up for you.

I wonder if they give out the wort to keep it more local and to ensure its a quick turn around beer.

We usually take 131 south and then West on 196 or 94 and take 94 west. From there I don't know. What roads the wife or map says to take.

I am hoping on of my club members can pick up some for me. If not no big deal. The prizes sound really cool, but I don't want it to be a hassle. Thanks for the offer.

I know the wife mentioned hitting a brewery or two maybe on the trip. I think there are a couple in SW MI that I haven't been to and are right along the way.

Just checked Google Maps and there are more than I thought!

We usually take 131 south and then West on 196 or 94 and take 94 west. From there I don't know. What roads the wife or map says to take.

I am hoping on of my club members can pick up some for me. If not no big deal. The prizes sound really cool, but I don't want it to be a hassle. Thanks for the offer.

I know the wife mentioned hitting a brewery or two maybe on the trip. I think there are a couple in SW MI that I haven't been to and are right along the way.

Just checked Google Maps and there are more than I thought!

Along the way you will pass Three Floyd's and 18th Street. 18th st has some great sours.

I looked on their website but didn't see any info on what the wort is. I may have missed it though. Is it just 2-row and right from the mash tun with no boiling or hops?

I looked on their website but didn't see any info on what the wort is. I may have missed it though. Is it just 2-row and right from the mash tun with no boiling or hops?

I saw some where that it was just base "base malt" and a quick boil.

I was originally thinking I'd steep grains and make it whatever but I've been researching and it seems there's little to gain gravity wise this way.

I'm now thinking of splitting into 2 batches 2.5gal/batch of bells and 2.5gal/batch partial mash.

The problem is I have to research how to enter the figures into beersmith correctly

I suppose it doesn't matter what I was planning being that I ended up getting mandated to work today

I was originally thinking I'd steep grains and make it whatever but I've been researching and it seems there's little to gain gravity wise this way.

I'm now thinking of splitting into 2 batches 2.5gal/batch of bells and 2.5gal/batch partial mash.

The problem is I have to research how to enter the figures into beersmith correctly

Just as a future FYI, they shoot for a 1.048 gravity using their base 2-row malt. This year, it actually came out to 1.055. I added a gallon and a half of water to the 5 gallons they gave me, to get me near my normal volume starting point, which dropped it to about 1.038, then did my normal BIAB with another 4# of malt which brought me back to 1.058 post-boil. Actually ended up with about 5.5gal of wort all said and done, as I forgot to compensate for less loss using less than half the grain I normally do.

As far as BeerSmith for this particular contest, what I do is just create a blank recipe using my equipment profile, then add 2 row until it hits the OG of what I'm starting with. Not perfect, but the best I could come up with.

It was a fun event. The homebrew exhibit was small but there was a cool raffle where they gave away some cool stuff. As Jefnvk pointed out they over shoot there gaviry by a bunch. They said last year the starting gravity was 1.061. I ended up doing a small mash with some specialty grain and some base malt and added to what they gave me.

For those that are thinking about going next year. There was a line, lined up like an hour or more before they opened at 11 to get signed in and register for your wort pick up time. I got there at like 11:15 and waited for 30 - 45 min in line and there were very few behind me. I think the trick is to show up and like 12 and you could have pretty much walked right in. I dont think they heve run out of wort the last couple of years.

Back